Survey

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Tue Feb 1 09:10:42 EST 1994

>Here's a stab at a survey:
>
>1) When did you get infected with the contest bug?
>2) What made that occasion stand out?
>3) Who made the difference to you?

    I remember quite vividly my 1st contest - field day 1966. I was a mere
    12 years old and had a great time. I recall how the 80M op came running
    out of the tent screaming that he had just worked a "PA3" in the Netherlands.
    Upon later reflection, it was probably a miscopied WA3 in EPA, but the thrill
    of even the thought of being heard "across the pond" remains a well
    cherrished memory.  I guess that's when the hook was set - the rest is a
    pleasant history of competition intertwined with lasting friendship.
    From that very experience came two active contesters, myself and my
    boyhood bud, Brooke, N2BA.

    I remember how by the end of that weekend, as we waited in the woods of
    central New Jersey for my Dad to arrive to pick us (and a generator) up,
    hearing CW in my head - without a rig being turned on! "Oh boy, what's this,"
    I said. That pleasantly strange experience haunts me to this day.

    After that it was QSO parties and competing against my school buddies that
    kept me inspired.  I then graduated to CD parties and the ARRL DX contests.
    I remember getting a "bug" so that I could work more stations. Then migrating
    to a homebrew, tube-type, ala ARRL Handbook, electronic keyer. Wow, I could
    now work even more guys.  Rates. In those days 30 or 40 per was great news.

    I could go on & on, but let me save bandwidth and say that: The rest is
    history - and a pleasant one I may add.

    I think it incumbant upon the inspired to infect others with the spirit we
    all felt early on in our contest careers.  So do your share this year and
    inspire a few beginners by participating in the Novice Roundup.

					73,
						Walt - K2WK