What is wrong with Voice Keyer

george fremin iii geoiii at bga.com
Sun Jul 24 11:18:59 EDT 1994

: What gets me is when you hear the CQ, answer, and a different voice
: answers you back.  Always confuses me for a moment until I realize
: they were using a voice keyer with someone elses voice than the current
: operator.
:
: Note to voice keyer operators -- change the CQ so it sounds like you
: when your using it! <g>

yeah this annoys me too.  In fact it reminds me of a something
that happened during the WPX ssb contest this spring.

I was tuning up 15m about 30 mins into the contest when I
came across ky1h calling CQ.  Here is what happened.

stn1 - CQ CONTEST KY1H over.

me - WB5VZL

stn1 - WB5VZL you're 59 67.

me - you're 59 50 - thanks.

And just as I was tuning off I hear.

stn1 - thanks - QRZ WZ1R over.

so I tune back on frequency - just as he starts again.

stn1 - CQ CONTEST KY1H over.

so I call him and ask him if he would like me to log KY1H or WZ1R.
he says he is WA1R - I tell him he should listen to his cq message.

remeber - this all occured 30+ minutes into the contest.
mmmmm. wonder how many people worked KY1H on 15m in that 30 mins.

does anyone remeber the post that N6TR did on voice keyers?
it was called "BEWARE THE DVP".  I think that it brought up
some really good points about why a voice keyer is not like
a cw keyer and why it is important to be "live".

I thought it was so good I saved it - maybe I should repost it.

:-)

George "I rarely use a voice keyer" Fremin
Austin, Texas C.K.U.
WB5VZL
512/416-0140
geoiii at bga.com