MASTS... a review

KM9P at aol.com KM9P at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 18:07:25 EDT 1994

Well I received alot of mail on this one.

Alot of people like the chome moly masts like K5RC sells in the NCJ.  N2IC
said he had a 3 element 40 meter beam 10 feet up on one of these masts...
 The top section bent before the mast did!  Wow!  You can call K5RC for
details on pricing and shipping.

What I'm gonna do...  Since I am only going to be putting up a Cushcraft
402CD about 10 feet up on one of the masts and a 6 element DXE 15M on the
other, I decided to go with 2" OD drawn-over-mandrel (DOM) tubing (grade
1026).  It provides a yield strength of 7000 lb/in squared.  I called around
town and found it for $6.50 per foot.  They sell it in lengths that are
anywhere from 18 to 24 feet.  I could go to the trouble of getting it
galvanized, but I'm just gonna paint it with something.  I got most of my
information on this stuff from Dave Leeson's book Yagi Antenna Design on page
7-4 & 7-6.  Dave gives you all of the formulas for calculating the
survivability of the mast in his book.

Oh.. Charlie (K1XX) has used corner posts from chain-link fence people.  He
reinforced it inside.  It sounded like a great way to get a mast with
galvanization on it already.  But without exact numbers on it's strength I
decided to opt for the DOM stuff.

73

Bill Fisher, KM9P
KM9P at AOL.COM