Tower proximity to foundation

aa7nx at aol.com aa7nx at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 03:45:28 EST 1994

I have received a very strong response to my question regarding how close to
my house foundation I can safely put my tower. I wish to thank all that
responded, and thought others might like to see a summary of the responses. I
hope this doesn't push the reflector charter too far.... The summary follows:

TOWER BASE/FOUNDATION SUMMARY
concern might be if the ground under the foundation/slab falls into the
hole, yet if you fill the whole thing up with concrete (including the
void under the slab) there should be no problem.

Several years ago (at a previous house) I installed a self-supporting
tower with full building permits and inspections in Cupertino
California. The concrete of the base touched the concrete of the
house foundation. That house also has no basement.

I had a W-51 tower up and had its base about 3.5 feet from the
basement wall..

I have a US Tower HDX-589 on a 4 x 4 x 9 foot base that is just about
as close to my house and it can get. The edge of the tower clears the
eave of the house by about 12 inches. The base is within 6 inches of
the house foundation. City of Los Angeles inspector had no problem
with it (and they are usually fussy).  Put it as close as you need to.

Contractors dug an 8'6" deep hole 4x4' square
about 36" from my foundation.  I told them to be prepared to shore it up
with 4x8 sheets of plywood and braces, but it clearly wasn't necessary.
It is something to be concerned about, though.

i put my lm470d about ten feet from the house.  i think i
could have gotten as close as 3-5ft without getting nervous.

END OF SUMMARY

73, Mike  aa7nx at aol.com