S/M

Robert Neece al511 at Freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 30 12:47:53 EST 1994

Dave, W6QHS, writes:

>I learned in 20 years of auto racing experience that misguided attempts to
>legislate against technology improvements result in bland competitions that
>aren't worth the effort to learn how to win.  I don't think that a separate
>S/M class would attract any interest; it certainly wouldn't be something
>I'd walk down the block for.

Years ago, Mario Andretti nearly blew away
the field at the Indianapolis 500 with a
radical, turbine-engine racer.

The sponsor of the Indy 500, the United
States Auto Club, was wedded to piston-
engine technology.  Andretti's performance
so alarmed USAC that the club in effect
legislated turbines out of existence for
Indy by ruinous restrictions on the size
of the intake port.

Dave, did this anti-technology move by USAC
make the Indy 500 noncompetitive and boring?

Is anti single-multi sentiment motivated by
a desire to preserve an accepted "flavor" of
competition, a la USAC?  Or is it, rather,
mere Luddite-ism?

Bob, K0KR