SRR Contest Date

Woolwich Building Society wbs at cix.compulink.co.uk
Fri May 20 17:56:00 EDT 1994

RUSSIAN DX CONTEST DATE CLASHES WITH IOTA CONTEST DATE

It was good of SRR to move the date of their contest once it was realised
it clashed with ARRL Field Day, but the new date they have chosen clashes
with the IOTA contest. The regular date of the IOTA contest was established
last year, by agreement with IARU Region 1, as the last weekend in July.
The rules were published in DX News Sheet on 9 February, in the March
issue of Radio Communication, and on Internet in mid-April. Additionally,
publicity material was sent out worldwide in February. It may be that as
SRR is a new organisation, they were not on the mailing list at that time.

There was a high level of interest in the first IOTA contest last year and
in 1994 CW has been introduced by popular demand. Several entrants said in
their soapbox comments that the contest was likely to become one of the
major events of the year. Many groups mounted expeditions to islands, some
of which were activated for the first time. It is my experience that when
two different contests are held at the same time, both of them suffer. The
entry is divided and you find DX stations who are entering one event refuse
to work entrants in the other, leading to frustration, jamming etc. Casual
operators get confused and give up, and contesting gets a bad name.

We are contacting Andy UA3DPX to see what can be done, otherwise expect the
last weekend of July to be a real mess.

Dave G4BUO

RSGB HF Contests Committee

wbs at cix.compulink.co.uk