w5xd cw ss

W5XD at delphi.com W5XD at delphi.com
Tue Nov 8 21:45:35 EST 1994

1028 QSOs by 75 sections. My personal best ever CW SS QSO total.
One short of my best ever section total. In 21 years of CW SS
(with some gaps) I've still never swept. This year it was KH6
and VE8. When I get my mug, I'm going to relish it...

Most improvement: For the first time I successfully copied CW
with separate rig audio in opposite headphones. I admit I can
only copy one rig at a time, but that is a vast improvement
over my previous performance of being able to copy zero rigs
at a time when piping in two. Anyway, this resulted in lots
more 2nd radio QSOs. I didn't count them. Guess a couple of
dozen. Maybe this old dog can learn one more new trick. (yes,
I saw kr0y made 175. I hope wimpy guys like me  can till make
postings to cq-contest)

Most fun: found myself S&P systematically up the band on 80m
CW Saturday evening right behind Joe, W4XD. More than one
station consectutively logged W4XD followed by W5XD. Good
thing it was 80m and Joe and I could hear each other. If we
get in each others skip zones at the same time we QRM each
other to death in S&P mode. I often get told "W4XD B4" when
I drop my call, so I automatically send the exchange when
people send W4XD. Bad idea when the skip is wrong.

funny incident: Somebody found my CQ frequency while I was
on 2nd radio QSO (think it wasn't just somebody, think it
was k1ea). When I didn't respond to the first call, he simply
sent the letter "C" followed by the letter "Q". Sure to get
my attention! cute.

frequency fights. Seems similar to the "I didn't find section
X" syndrome in that everybody's perception is different. Lots
of years I get treated rudely by big guns and get mad. Did not
happen even once to me all weekend.

Wayne
w5xd at delphi.com