RSGB Contest/Counties

Jastaples at aol.com Jastaples at aol.com
Wed Oct 19 16:56:32 EDT 1994

Can anyone provide me with a list of the UK counties with their
"Offical" three letter abbreviations as used by the RSGB in the 21/28 MHz CW
contest last weekend.

Thanks,

Joe, W5SAP
jastaples at AOL..com
71045.2632 at compuserve.com

From: Patrick M. Barkey" <00pmbarkey at bsuvc.bsu.edu (Patrick M. Barkey)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 1994 15:05:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Contest scores on CD/ROM

I think it would be fascinating to have historical contest scores available.
I suggest, however, that some thought be given into design of the database.
There should be a number of consistently defined fields that exhaust the
information available from the score listings.

For example, we might have:

   Field         Description

     1           Call
     2           Operator
     3           Country
     4           State
     5           ARRL Section
     6           Grid Square

     and so forth, with additional geographic information defined in
     additional fields set up as necessary (e.g. oblasts, provinces, etc.).

     Contests for which the information is either unavailable or not
     applicable (e.g., Grid squares for SS, states for DX) would have
     blank, or missing codes, entered.

Similarly for scores:

   Field       Description

     7           Total score
     8           Total points
     9           Total countries
    10           Total zones
    11           Total states
    12           Total QTC

   and so forth, until all of the items that figure into the scoring are
   exhausted.

If some kind of "universal" format for contest scoring data could be agreed
upon, then we could do some really interesting analysis on scoring trends,
effects of rule changes, propagation analysis, etc.

   -- Pat Barkey
      WA8YVR/9

      00pmbarkey at bsu.edu