60 Hz power (vs 50)

bcoleman at hayes.com bcoleman at hayes.com
Thu Sep 1 14:02:40 EDT 1994

>Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq at paonline.com) writes:
>P.S.: A little off topic but can anyone explain why commercial mains
>standard freq is 60Hz here but 50Hz in many other countries? Does the
>freq have to do with avoiding flicker in lighting?

Well, it is because of that genius, Nikolai Tesla. Picking a frequency for
power transmission is difficult. Lower frequencies can transform more
efficiently (with low-quality Iron cores), and can be generated with
greater efficiency. But low frequencies cause lights to flicker perceptively.
So the trick is to pick a frequency high enough so lights don't flicker,
but low enough for good efficiency.

Tesla picked 60 Hz. Other parts of world use 50 Hz. A few places have 25 Hz
power, and there are a couple of really oddball frequencies in use in various
places.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR (bcoleman at hayes.com)