WOMEN & CQ

Leonard J Popyack, Jr. popyackl at ers.rl.af.mil
Tue Sep 6 10:02:11 EDT 1994

On Sat, 3 Sep 1994 09:45:38 -0700 (PDT, H. Ward Silver wrote:

>> Maybe we need a new contest category - single op henpecked.
>
>Or the converse, single-single-op!  A possible cease-fire settlement might
>be to trade one weekend of family-only for each weekend of ham-radio-only.
> Also, wouldn't it be nice if:
>
>a) ARRL DX CW wasn't on Valentine's Day EVER, and
>b) CQ WPX CW wasn't on Memorial Day Weekend, and
>c) CQ WW CW wasn't on Thanksgiving weekend?
Also, Sweepstakes falls on the weekend before the opening day of southern
deer season (in NY) -- makes it tough to support both hobbies unless
you can go without sleep for days....Len WF2V

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso at sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 13:12:56 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: WOMEN & CQ

On Sat, 3 Sep 1994, H. Ward Silver wrote:
>  Also, wouldn't it be nice if:
>
> a) ARRL DX CW wasn't on Valentine's Day EVER, and
> b) CQ WPX CW wasn't on Memorial Day Weekend, and
> c) CQ WW CW wasn't on Thanksgiving weekend?
>
> 73, Ward N0AX

I recall a discussion on this subject several years ago in NCJ, I think.
At the time, the editor (K5RC, I believe) mentioned that the reason these
weekends were chosen for these major contests was both to help people
have a few last hours with the family before the contest and also to work
on the station and otherwise prepare themselves (sleep, travel time to
VP2 places, etc).

Personally, I've always loved having contests on long weekends just for
the above reasons. I used to go to work during Thanksgiving morning (as
did most of my coworkers), then spend the rest of the day and most of
Friday with the family; that time devotion was always enough to satisfy
the family and get them to leave Daddy alone during his contest,
ESPECIALLY when it was paycheck week!

However, I usually have a real problem with contests on ordinary two-day
weekends. The only thing that has consistently worked well then has been
to spend the entire prior weekend with the family, and sometimes the
following weekend, too. Summer contests are particularly troublesome
since who wants to stay home during any part of the summer?

By the way, anybody notice that the Fox (KA9FOX) ain't been heard from
since announcing a possible new companion a couple weeks ago? 73, Steve
KO0U/4 <sharrison at sysplan.com>