MORE ON AC ARRESTER LOCATION

EDWOODS at PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM EDWOODS at PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM
Thu Sep 8 14:01:59 EDT 1994

Another Eric, N7CL, writes:

Eric,

I'm prety sure that you don't want the main breaker to open when the
arrestor _operates_.  You may, however, very well want the breaker in line
to operate if the arrester _fails_ (shorted).  But...

For the breaker to open during a lightning fault when the arrester is
operating it would have to open far enough to quench the lightning arc to
be effective.  Since this is impractical, it would simply mean the
destruction of the breaker.  For this reason, the arrester is designed to
short during a fault, open immediately after the fault clears, and if the
arrester fails short, it is designed so that excessive power dissipation
inside the arrester causes a subsequent failure of the arrester to the open
state.  Some even have an indicator to alert you to the fact that this has
happened.  Most will take thousands of faults of average energy before they
fail to an open state.

So the proper place for the primary entry surge arrester is on the line
side of the breakers (may as well protect the breakers too).

73,  Eric  N7CL

Boy is he right!

I spent some time with the Joslyn Engineer yesterday (again, GO AGGIES)
and we visted several sites that had a questionable ac protection
scheme.  We discussed the suppresser failure modes and operating
indications in the middle of a tomato field next to the old VOA relay
station in Dixon. (Another long story goes here)

Today, I reiterated the above to my headquarters support engineer in the
Bay Area and we agreed (thanks to concurrance from our friendly Ph D
Bellcore resource) that the I-T curve of the suppresser during operation
would probably not coordinate with the I-T curve of the breaker.  In
other words, the breaker will probably not trip when the suppresser
fires during a brief lightning type event.

Longer duration events will eventually cause the suppresser to fail
open, due to internal fuse or relay design, and the trigger that
something  happened would be the fact that the suppresser's indication
lights would be extiguished, or the alarm relay would operate.  Older
non-alarmed types would show open the old fashioned way (maybe) by
exhibiting physical signs of catastrophic failure (hand grenade or
remember your first attempt at building a KW power supply?).

So..........lets credit Mr. Gustafson N7CL with some terrific, timely
advice.

Erics are always right, anyway.  Just BO didn't know failure modes.

CU Saturday NCCC CW Sprint.  Eric NV6O edwoods at pacbell.com