WRTC-95 information

ERIC.L.SCACE at adn.sprint.com ERIC.L.SCACE at adn.sprint.com
Tue Sep 13 01:28:39 EDT 1994

Hello everyone...

   Once again, thanks for all the interesting comments and suggestions
about WRTC-95.  Tonight the WRTC-95 Administration held another planning
meeting.  This message contains some proposals for which we would like to
receive feedback.

   These proposals focus on the selection of teams.  CQ.Contest reflector
readers know that a number of commets against the "one team per IARU zone"
concept.  So here is an alternative which is under active consideration.

   First, the objectives of team selection:
-- to choose teams with great contesters
-- to have some geographical diversity among the chosen teams
-- to have a selection system which minimizes or eliminates subjective opinion
   in the evaluation of applicants.
-- to have a selection system which is not to hard to administer.

   Here is the proposal:

   [explanatory comments are in square brackets "[]" ]

1.  80% of the available team slots will be set aside for teams chosen within
geographical areas.  [Example:  WRTC-95 is planning for 50 teams.  40 teams
will be chosen within geographical areas.]

2.  The geographical areas will be continents: Europe, North America, South
America, Oceana, Asia, and Africa.  Continental boundaries will be as defined
for the Worked All Continents (WAC) award.

      [This is a larger area than IARU zone and eliminates the imbalance of
       having some IARU zones with almost no countries and other IARU zones
       with many many active contesting countries.  Each continent has many
       contesters.... some more than others, though.]

3.  The geographical team slots will be allocated to the various continents
according to the relative proportion of active contesters.  This proportion
shall be determined by the total scores submitted from each continent in the
major international multiband contests whose results were published in 90-94.

      [Example:  After looking at all the scores published in WW, IARU, WPX,
       and similar international contests, it may be that the breakdown of
       scores is:
            NA: 34%     Eu: 37%    As: 15%    SA: 6%   Af: 4%    Oc: 4%
       In this case the 40 team slots are allocated as:
            NA: 9       Eu: 10     As: 5      SA: 2    Af: 1    Oc: 1
       Every continent gets at least one team.]

4.  The remaining 20% of all team slots are allocated to "world at large".

5.  Each operator interested in participating in WRTC submits an application
as an individual.

6.  All applications are rated according to the Rating System.  Each operator
receives an individual rating.  All operators who submit a valid application
will receive a notice of their rating and how it was calculated.

7.  All rated operators are ranked on two lists: (a) the list for their
continent, and (b) the "world at large" list.
      [Example:  The ranking might be as follows ...
         WORLD   call      NA  Eu  As  SA  Af  Oc
         #  1    OH2MM          1
         #  2    K1AR       1
         #  3    OH2BH/VS6          1
         #  4    G3SXW          2
         #  5    ON6TT          3
         #  6    KR0Y       2
         #  7    K1DG       3
         #  8    ZS6WW                      1
         #  9    CT1BOH         4
        etc etc]

8.  The highest ranking operators in each continent are then asked to choose
any other person to form their te (not restricted to WRTC applicants).
      [ Example:  OH2MM chooses OH2RF, who did not submit an application,
                  to form the first of the ten European teams ("ten" from
                  the example of point 3 above.]
      [ Example:  K1AR chooses K1DG, who DID submit an application, to form
                  the first of the nine North American teams.]
      [ Example:  G3SXW chooses G3XYZ, a largely-unrecognized contester who
                  always operated in multi-multi and multi-single teams and
                  excells at finding multiplers and works well with others, to
                  form the second European team.]
Note:  As a result of choices made by the highest-ranking operators in each
continent, lower-ranking operators may get "promoted".  In the examples above,
K1AR choose K1DG.  That means the 10th-ranked North American operator will be
able to choose a teammate and compete as one of the 9 North American teams.

9.  Any operator who chooses a teammate from a different continent is auto-
matically considered to form a "world at large" team.
      [ Example:  CT1BOH chooses 4X4DX to form a "world at large" team.  His
                  team does NOT take a European team slot.]

10.  Once all of the team slots for a continent are filled, the remaining
ranked operators in that continent will be considered for "world at large"
teams if ranking high enough.
      [ Example:  North America was given 9 slots.  After the 9 slots were
                  filled by K1AR+K1DG etc, K3RA remained without a North
                  American slot.  K3RA could still be invited to form a
                  team, if he ranks high enough in the world overall and
                  "world at large" slots remain empty.]

11.  All choices must be by mutual agreement between the two operators.  The
second operator joining a team will be required to sign a statement that he
will participate in WRTC, honor the decisions of the Administration as final,
etc etc.

12.  CUTOFF:  In order to maintain a high standard among all WRTC team leaders,
continental rankings will be given only to operators whose ratings are greater
than 66% of the highest world ratin

13.  UNFILLED CONTINENTAL SLOTS:  In the unlikely event that, because of point
#12 above or a lack of applications, some slots in a continent remain unfilled,
those unfilled slots will be re-allocated to "world at large".
      [Example:  Asia received 5 slots in the above examples.  Six applications
                 from Asia were received.  Of these six applications, five were
                 rated above the point #12 cutoff.  The lowest-rate
                 application, from KH6DUD, did not make the cutoff and was
                 therefore only assigned a world ranking of #297.  Of the
                 top five Asian applications, OH2BH/VS6 choose N7NG for a
                 teammate and became a "world at large" team.  4X4DX was chosen
                 by CT1BOH for another "world at large" team.  The other three
                 Asia operators teamed with three additional Asia operators for
                 three Asia teams.  The two unused Asia slots were then added
                 to the "world at large" group.]

   Hopefully you can detect that the WRTC-95 Administration was trying to
blend together a combination of geographical diversity, with lots of teams from
areas of the world with lots of operators, and still achieving a high standard
of operating talent.  We also wanted to give operators the chance to choose
someone they were comfortable working with as a team (e.g., because of past
experience, similar language, etc).  And we liked the idea of making the choice
of teammate another element of strategy -- just like what happens in other
contests when people decide to enter together as multi-single and multi-multi
efforts.  Lastly, it was recognized that any operator rating system will have
weaknesses; e.g., insensitive to new, bright operators who have burst on the
world stage only in last few years, or who have been hiding inside multi-
singles and multi-multis around the work.  Such operators have a chance to
join WRTC-95 through the "teammate choosing" process.

   OK: your turn to comment again.  Let's have all those rotten tomatoes
(hopefully not too many this time!) or expressions of support for all or
part of this proposal.

   Thanks for taking the time to read this long message, and helping to make
WRTC-95 a success together with us.

73,
   Eric K3NA
   for WRTC-95 Inc.