WRTC Ideas

W7NI at delphi.com W7NI at delphi.com
Thu Sep 15 02:22:03 EDT 1994

Here is another wild scheme for leveling the playing field that I just
thought of:

1.  Describe every availabvle station in a complete and stanardized manner.

    Make the description a written one where a standard form is filled out
    asking all the appropriate questions about antennas, heights, equipment
    etc.  Perhaps augment the written descriptions with short video tapes of
    each station.

2.  Let every team study all of the station descriptions and view the video
    tapes.

3.  Auction the stations one at a time to the highest bidding team.

4.  Teams will bid contest points.  In other words, if a particularly
    desireable station is auctioned to a team for the high bid of 700 points,
    that team operates that station with a score handicap of 700 points.

5.  If a station gets no bids, save it for round 2 of the bidding process.

6.  After the first round of bids, maybe 35 teams will have selected 35
    stations and there will be 15 stations and 15 teams who still need to
    choose.  Keep the bidding process going until all teams have a station.
    if there are stations and teams left over and no one wants to bid, they
    get to sit this contest out and watch the others have fun.  They really
    can't complain since they had an equal opportunity to bid on every
    single station.

7.

In this scheme, there is no need to level the playing field since the players
will do it themselves by choosing a good station witha big handicap or a not
so good station with a smaller handicap.  It is all part of the strategy.
Do you bid high on the best station or low on a lesser station?  It was just
like the SS contest of the late '50s and early '60s where you had to decide
to run high power with a 1.0 multiplier or low power with a 1.25 multiplier.
It all depends on how much you think you can improve your score with a louder
signal.

Whether it would be more appropriate to bid contest pi?? points or QSOs is
something for the sponsors to decide.  The contest can be won or lost right
there at the bidding procedure, but that is not too differeent from the real
world of contesting where the contest is probably more often than not won or
lost based on all the stuff that goes on before the contest such as equipment
selection, antenna,design, softeware choice, etc, etc, etc.  Real contesters
make tough choices all of the time.  That is the essence of the game.

W7NI at delphi.com    "If you can't work 'em, it doesn't matter if you can hear 'em

(exception: Does not apply to SWLs.)  Even if you have a receiving preamp,
"if you can't work 'em, it doesn't matter if you can hear 'em."  You will just
hear more sa?? stations you can't work!