CQ WW Scoring (resolved)

ames at force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM ames at force.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM
Fri Sep 30 09:38:37 EDT 1994

Ray, WF1B, helped resolve this issue on all three points. First, there
were not changes in the rules - only the way it was written.  At Ray's
suggestion, I also called Roy Gould, KT1N, and he says that people have
been lumping all the multiplier together in the summary sheets.  What they
want are three groups separated from each other: country mults, dxcc mults,
and a combined group of US&Canadians. It was a little more clear in Digital
Journal (the co-sponsor).  The rules are the same as given in the RTTY
Contester's Guide (1992).

Roy Gould, when asked about maritine mobles, said that they really were not
expected to be worked in the contests, esp. RTTY.  For scoring, they do not
represent dxcc countries - so no country mult possible.  Zone scoring is
possible. They basically score for points, and since they are not associated
with a country but only a continent by their zone - then there is a decision
to be made between either 2 or 3 points.  Same rule as CQ WW CW/SSB Contests.

So, why did I raise an issue when none seems to exist? Well, WF1B's RTTY did
not score the contest correctly. He (and WA6SDM) where able to resolve this
once they saw my loggin sheets. It seems there was a bug in version 2.10 and
you need to change the country code from "K" to "W" in the .CTY & .PFX files.
Once the change is made using the Country.EXE routine, the .BIN file will
score correctly.  I even tried it last night. Easy.  Ray, WF1B, said he mailed
a postcard describing this "fix" but I never got mine. Of course, instead of
blaming the postman, I can't help but start thinking of the neighbors breaking
into my mailbox - stealing the post card - and laughing as they run down the
street tearing into little pieces. Contesters are never popular with the
neighbors. ;-)

73, alan N2ALE/6
will be working CQP from WA6GFY as I'm turning my station over to KE6GFQ
(my daughter) to work VHF contacts.