Antenna & Tower Recommendations

markg at iserver.starlight.com markg at iserver.starlight.com
Sun Apr 16 16:48:20 EDT 1995

  I have been reading for some time posting on this reflector concerning
  contests, antennas, and station configuration and know this is a very
  well informed group.  In an effort to work more than the top ten
  stations in a contest and do some DXing in this low sun spot period
  (work BS7H? I never even heard BS7H) I have made plans (translation:
  finally gotten the wifes approval) to put up a tower on our small lot
  (i.e. very difficult to put up any type of wire antenna even on 40M).

  I have put together a configuration based on performance,
  survivablility, serviceability, and neighborhood friendlyness (i.e.
  lowest height when cranked down). Since I will have to live with
  whatever I decide to do I would very much appreciate any comparsions,
  feedback, experience, or suggestions on the following:

  Tower: Tri-Ex LM-470 or US Tower HDX-572  @65' (local limit)
  (comparsions?)

  At 65': Force-12 Magnum 520/240 (5 element 20M, 2 element 40M)

  At 50' (using TIC ring rotor): Force-12 4BA  or DX Engineering LP17
      (for 10,12,15,17) (comparsions?)

  Would there be any big advantage to putting a 5-band ant. at 50' such
  as a 5BA or LP20 to get another 20M choice or would I just get
  destructive interference?

  Please send responses directly so as not to clutter the reflector. If
  enough interest I will post the results. Thanks and maybe you'll even
  be able to hear me in the next contest.

  73's,
  Mark  AB6WD
  markg at starlight.com