This Reflector is going QRT

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Thu Dec 7 08:42:28 EST 1995

>>Good Morning, Bill...I assume that your comment regarding logging programs
>was aimed at me. Somehow, I thought there might be some interest (I guess I
>got about 150 replies to my query...at least 20 asked me to publish the
>results). I really believe that rather than this reflector dying, CONTESTING
>is dying, somewhat due to a few self-proclaimed 'contest elitists', like you
>and some of your friends. Also, there is diminishing interest in DXing and
>Contesting due to the ageing of the ham population, no-code licensing and,
>heaven forbid, computers, Email, etc. I had 3 teen-age visitors in the shack
>during my G0/AA4V CQWW Phone CONTEST effort in October. They were fascinated
>by what was going on but one of them did ask 'why bother with radio? Why
>don't you just call them on the phone?' Starting a closed contest reflector?
>Yes, that will be the death of CONTESTING, not this reflector. We'll miss
>you, Bill.
>As K3ZO says...very 73   Steve AA4V

I have been definitely a "little pistol" in contests and haven't had any
hopes of ever winning one (except the one I got by accident, by default,
when there were no other W9 entries in the ARRL VHF QSO Party in the
QRP-portable category!) But I have enjoyed every contest and I have
enjoyed just about every posting to this reflector. I haven't had any
complaints about anything posted here.

Making 2000 phone calls to EU, AF, ANZO, N and S America, Asia etc would get
pretty expensive!  :-)

I think one of the best things we can do is invite some new hams over to
see a contest station in operation ... it can't help but spark some
interest in at least a few of them!

73, Zack W9SZ