New Categories - there goes the neighborhood

Sean E. Kutzko tigger at prairienet.org
Mon Dec 11 22:13:32 EST 1995

Jim wrote:

>> Why bother improving skills and upgrading stations?  Just wait long enough
>> and there will be a tailor made category for you to "win".
>
>Gee, Russell, I'm glad you have such a neat, positive attitude towards this.
>I've been competing in the TS category for a long time, only it wasn't
>the Tri-band and Single element category. I don't have a big tower and
>gain on 40, 80, or 160. Probably won't soon, perhaps ever. I can improve my
>station to the cows come home, but I still won't be able to compete against
>the guy that has gain on 40, and the guys the have a four square. Not that
>I expect to win, but I sure would like to see how I compare with a station
>like mine ... and that is what this category will do.

HEAR HEAR!

Most of my contest operating (especially WPX) is from a "super-station."
Not everybody has that kind of access (or money). This might just be one
way to get more folks interested in what we do. If it doesn't work out,
the new categories can always be revoked. Nothing's set in stone, here.

I applaud the WPX Contest Directors for coming up with this. In this time
where we're worried about getting new blood in, don't ya think we outghta
TRY something instead of just sitting on our duffs bitching about how bad
things are getting?

Progress isn't gained by following the same path as the last guy.

73,

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko						 Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL						 DXCC: 305 wkd/301 cfmd

	      "Nobody looks good with brown lipstick."-Frank Zappa