One handed Sprint

K2SG at aol.com K2SG at aol.com
Tue Feb 21 08:55:39 EST 1995

After 39 years in the hobby I entered my first Sprint this year.
Unfortunately for me I had developed an arthritic thumb joint in my
keying hand.  Two days before the Sprint my thumb swelled up from
the wrist up, what to do?

Since I was using NA,  I reprogrammed several  F keys to handle
requests for repeats should they be necessary and two different
reports to handle the calling or being called conventions.

After an hour or so I finally got into the rhythm of the Sprint and had
mucho fun.  This really wasn't a one handed Sprint since I was able
to use 9 fingers most of the time to type but not being able to use
my key, it seemed one handed. (smile)   I may have a few more
typo's then usual but I really didn't expect to win anyway.

Did I have fun?  You bet I did!  Was this the ultimate test of my
skills?  Not really, great CW ops, easy to copy, strong signals,
mostly familiar calls, no annoying QRM and NO fatigue.
Grrrrreat S&P practice!   I agree with Larry, K7SV that a Low
Power catagory would be desirable especially since this is a
domestic contest.

There has been a lot of flaming about which contests are the best
test of ones skills.  As someone st