V44KAO the bad guy??

N0bsh at aol.com N0bsh at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 22:01:41 EST 1995

Before we get into the public chastisement of V44KAO it would
perhaps be best to know what the "real" situation is/was.  And I'm
not saying that I know............

Someone asked who the op was.  As far as I can tell the op of
V44KAO was Oliver, V44KAO!!  Yes, there are actually residents of
these nice islands that also like to get on the air and play radio.

Was he "in the contest?"  Don't know.
Was he just handing out contacts?  Don't know.

He seemed perfectly willing to send his power when asked.  But if,
in fact, he was just DXing there is no requirement to send any kind
of "contest exchange" just because he happened to pick the
weekend of the ARRL DX CW Contest to get on the air for a while.
We just do not know his intentions.

We can't just assume everyone who gets on the air during a
contest really cares about the contest.  We pry all this info out of
the missionaries in Africa, who just get on to keep their skeds, in
every phone contest.  No one seems to have a problem with that,
even when it is obvious the guy has no interest in the contest, nor is he
aware of the "proper" exchange.  In this case we had someone
who appeared to be a pretty capable CW op who *sounded* like he
was "in the contest." (note *sounded*)

As I said in a previous post, if he was really "in the contest" then
he violated the rules by not sending a complete exchange.  If he
was just DXing and only sending a "contest exchange" when asked
then he violated nothing!!!

Until we know all the details, please refrain from casting
judgement on 'KAO.  He certainly doesn't have to provide the mult
for us.  If all this got back to him he could very well make sure he
NEVER gets on during a contest again.  We lose...........

Mike  N0BSH
n0bsh at aol.com