(long) W1AW IARU HF

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Sat Jul 15 20:11:34 EDT 1995

Original message:

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 23:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "H. L. Serra" <hlserra at pwa.acusd.edu>
> Subject: Re: (long) W1AW IARU HF
> To: frenaye at pcnet.com
> Cc: cq-contest at tgv.com

> Hi Tom- Can any League member use W1AW for a particular contest from
> another QTH/station (e.g. K1KI), or is such use limited to present or
> former League employees?
> 73, Larry N6AZE

The trustee for W1AW is ARRL Executive Vice President Dave Sumner, K1ZZ.
He's the one who decides how and when the call is used.

Of course the primary use is the daily W1AW information bulletins - and
almost all operating efforts from the building at ARRL HQ in Newington are
secondary to that, meaning that when W1AW was active on Field Day a couple
of weeks ago, the effort had to be interrupted for about 15 minutes an hour
from 4 PM until 1 AM Eastern time.  That doesn't make for a particularly good
effort, and really messes up your concentration as an operator (very
annoying!) .  Actually, during the IARU HF contest one really unhappy person
was quite concerned when we were running stations when it was bulletin time.
We assured him that the bulletins were going on as scheduled.

Over the past 15 years or so W1AW has been used at a couple of ARRL national
conventions (W1AW/5 W1AW/4 W1AW/6 I think), and for a couple of Field Day
efforts off the HQ location.

Previous efforts in the IARU HF Championship have not been as successful as
anyone would have liked, in part because of the priority we place on keeping
W1AW bulletins going like clockwork.  In fact, the group that helped out last
year (WB2DIN, WN3K, etc) suggested a different QTH would be best.  W1AW is
designed for multiband bulletins and for casual visitor use, it isn't a well
designed multi-op contest station.

I began talking with Dave early this year about how the ARRL might mount a
more competitive effort in the IARU HF Championship in 1995, and volunteered
to do the organizing.  In the past we've been way back in the pack in the
category where IARU society HQ stations compete against each other, loosing
badly to many European radio societies many times smaller than ARRL.  There
was some pressure to set up in the same style as the HA DL or S5 teams, where
they have stations set up at different QTHs all over town (or the entire
country).  In the end, that was too radical an idea...

I offered my QTH for a couple of reasons: it is set up for a multioperator
effort, using the W1AW callsign here would not compete against any other USA
multi-op efforts in this contest, I'm also located in Hartford County, and
I'm a Vice President of ARRL.

We started with a goal of 6000 QSOs and 4th or 5th place, about 30% more QSOs
than the best effort in the past, and couldn't be happier that we ended up
with nearly 10,000!  It was a very, very good group of operators.  We haven't
heard from the HG95HQ or DA0HQ groups yet but suspect they beat us handily
because of their experience, station layout and because we enjoyed working so
many USA stations at 1 or 3 points instead of 5 pointers outside North
America.

I'm certain you won't see us sign as W1AW from here in ARRL SS, ARRL DX, or
CQWW - but next year we just might do IARU HF CHampionship again!  The ARRL
should be at the top of the list of HQ scores.

73 - Tom

PS - Sorry we missed working you - we did catch N6AZR though...

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093
Phone: 203-668-5444