Vanity Call/Out of Area

RFPWR at aol.com RFPWR at aol.com
Sun Jul 30 14:27:24 EDT 1995

Operating outside of the call area indicated by your call sign can also have
advantages.
As an 8 in 5 land, I sometimes can get through the W6/7/0 stations in a
pileup on 80M to the pacific or JA. I'll bet the 6/7 stations see the same
thing on the east coast to Europe. The 1/2/3/4 stations on the west coast
ditto. However, when trying to break a Europe pileup on 80M I sometimes sign
/5, which almost always works.

Moving to Louisiana from West Virginia solved one problem; I am now in CQ
zone 4 where most DX stations expect an 8 to be, rather than zone 5.

Truthfully, the biggest problem I have is people asking if the section is Los
Angeles or Louisiana. This happens countless times. I feel sorry for any 6
working in SS CW from Louisiana; he would have to sign /5 I'll bet or 50% of
his QSO's would log him as Los Angeles.

As for the vanity call, N8RR was my second choice, after N8DX. The calls were
chosen because I felt they would be effective in getting through pileups.
Despite the RR suffix being well utilized by many contesters and DX'ers (all
of them louder than me) I have not been disappointed. The success rate in
phone and CW pileups with the double R suffix has been extremely good, with
moderate to poor antennas. Occasionally someone will come back to N0RR or
N3RR (or one of the other multitude of RR's) but the problem has been
minimal; it is easy to straighten out the prefix after getting the DX stn's
attention.

To me, the ability to pick one's callsign is a tremendous advantage,
particularly for breaking DX pileups, if a good call is chosen.

73, Chas N8RR