Numeric abbreviations

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Wed Mar 1 16:24:06 EST 1995

Pete, N4ZR writes:

>I don't know where I read it, but there's a precept in information theory
>about improving accuracy in the transmission of information by embedding
>it in a thoroughly-known matrix.  In other words, chances of information
>getting through are improved under "noisy" conditions if there is a
>"flag" just before the variable information that says "here it comes."
>My own experience suggests that the "599" in the ARRL or CQWW exchange is
>such a flag, and 5NN ditto, but ENN severely diminishes that value.  A
>somewhat more controversial case might be the use of "NR" before the
>number in an SS exchange, to get the receiving operator attuned to the
>fact that the exchange is about to begin.  What think?

I concur. Thats why in CQ Contest Survey I voted to keep
the "useless" 5NN. I find that this precept is exactly what is
needed for successful QSOs. I haven't said it in as eloquent terms
as you, but after years of contesting its the phrase I look for,
especially when fatigued. It most definitely serves a useful
purpose. I think that by speeding up the 5NN actually reinforces
this fact and it increases intelligibility of the remainder of the
exchange. Besides, its shaves a miniscule amount of time off each Q.

73 de Walt Kornienko  -   K2WK		Internet:   waltk at pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:  K2WK > W3MM (FRC)    Packet:  K2WK at N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM