New Contest: GridLoc

Robert Barron barron at rmc.liant.com
Fri Mar 3 09:52:08 EST 1995

The first running of the HF Grid Location Contest will be
in April.  The rules were written in large part based on a
discussion about using grids that started here on the mail
reflector.  Here are the official rules.  Hope to see plenty
of activity on the bands.

I. Announcing
    First annual GridLoc (Grid Location) contest.

II. Objective
    For Amateurs around the world to contact other
Amateurs in as many Maidenhead grid squares as possible
during the contest period.

III. Contest Period
    1200 UTC April 8 to 1200 UTC April 9, 1995 (Second
full weekend of April).  All entrants may operate a total of
18 of the contest's 24 hours.  Off periods must be no less
than 30 minutes.

IV. Operator Classes
    There is only one power class (less than 150 watts).
    1. Single Operator, phone only, CW only and mixed
mode.  One person performs all operating and logging
functions.  Use of spotting nets, DX Alert Packet Systems,
telephone, etc., is not permitted.
    2. Multi-Operator, Two Transmitter.  Mixed mode.
Only 1 signal per band permitted.  Once a transmitter has
made a contact on a given band it may not change to
another band for at least 10 minutes.  All transmitters and
receivers must be located within a 500 meter diameter
circle or within the property limits of the station licensee's
address, whichever is lesser.  The antennas must be
physically connected by wires to the transmitter.
    3. Rover.  Mixed mode.  One or two operators of a single
station moving between two or more grid squares during
the contest, and making contest contacts, using the same
equipment and antennas at each
site.  A rover station should sign "rover" after their callsign
for voice and "/R" for CW.

V. Modes
    Contacts may be made using CW or SSB.

VI. Bands
    All HF bands (160-10 M) excluding the WARC bands
(30, 18, 12 M).

VII. Valid Contacts
    A given station may be contacted only once per band
from a given grid square.  Rover stations may be worked
once per band in each grid square they visit.

VIII. Exchange
    All stations must transmit a proper Maidenhead grid
square (ie. EM10) and an operator name.  If the
maidenhead grid square is unknown stations may be
counted for QSO credit only.

IX. QSO Points
    Count 1 QSO point for each valid contact made during
the contest.

X. Multiplier Points
    Count 1 multiplier point for each Maidenhead grid
square worked per band.  Stations not supplying valid
Maidenhead grid squares do not count for multiplier credit.

XI. Final Score
    Total QSO points times the total multipliers equals the
total claimed score for all entrants except rovers.  Rover
stations must add the total number of QSO points from
each grid,  add the total multipliers from each grid and
multiply these to produce the final score.

XII. Score Submission
    Log submissions should be sent within 30 days of the
end of the contest to:
Mail:   GridLoc             Internet:
    geoiii at bga.com
    P.O. Box 180703
    Austin, TX 78718-0703
GridLoc is an Open Log contest and all log submissions
become the property of the GridLoc organizers.

XIII. Awards
    To be decided.

------------------------Q&A-------------------------------

Q.  Why use Grid Squares as multipliers?
A. More common than countries and zones,  Grid Squares
provide a large number of multipliers which can be worked
on each band.  This makes the flavor of this contest
different from any other since WPX multipliers can not be
worked on each band.

Q.  Why is the contest 24 hours long?
A.  To give everyone around the world equal opportunity to
operate at peak propagation hours.

Q.  Why does it start at 1200UTC (7AM CST)?
A.  This start time gives everyone around the world ample
time to get home from work on Friday and prepare for the
contest the next day.  The contest ends before Monday all
over the world.

Q.  Why limit stations to 150 watts of power?
A.  One hundred fifty watts is more than enough to work
stations around the world.  Higher power would raise QRM
levels on the bands and result in complicating the GridLoc
rules with the additional categories.

Q.  Are there any DX awards for HF Grid contacts?
A.  Yes.  The Japanese Amateur Radio League offers the
Worked All Grid award to Amateurs who work stations in
100 or more Grids.  Endorsements are available for
multiples of 100 additional grids.  For more information
write to:
    The Japan Amateur Radio League, Inc.
    Award Desk
    14-2, Sugamo 1-Chome, Toshima-ku,
    Tokyo 170, Japan

Q.  Why are packet spotting systems not allowed?
A.  Packet is not allowed for single operators only.  If you
wish to use packet spots from your home station your entry
would be part of the multi-two category with "net" as the
other operator.

Q.  What is an "Open Log Contest"?
A.  An Open Log Contest is a contest in which operating
logs submitted for entry to the contest organizers are made
available to the public.  It is the intention of the GridLoc
organizers to make all of the submitted logs available
electronically.  This allows everyone to study the
techniques of the top scorers and to analyze logs using
common software tools.

Robert Barron, KA5WSS                 barron at rmc.liant.com
Liant Software Corporation            Hook 'Em Horns!