WPX CW/Propagation Forecasts

Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL Waltk at PICA.ARMY.MIL
Wed May 24 14:40:43 EDT 1995

>       I don't need to listen to WWV to know whether conditions are good
>       or bad, and I would never base a strategy decision on a WWV report
>       received during a contest.

I concur.  Even though the WWV "forecasts" are updated every 3 hours,
they're usually old news if some catastrophic event occurs. I only need
to refer you to 1994 CQWW, both modes. I've been contesting and hamming
long enough to know whats what on the bands.  If a major event occurs
that impacts propagation I adjust my strategy accordingly in REAL TIME.
WWV is great as a historical base, and maybe some of the indices may
point to continued good/bad conditions if a pattern begins to emerge.
But, never use them as your sole guide to operating strategy.
In last year's CQWW, I had made up milestone sheets for every hour of the
contest. By Saturday morning that sheet of paper was used to clean up
kitty litter.

73 de Walt Kornienko    <<<  K2WK >>>   Internet:   waltk at pica.army.mil
DX PacketCluster:   K2WK  >  W3MM (FRC) Packet:  K2WK at N2ERH.NJ.USA.NOAM
Member:  The Frankford Radio Club       #1 Contest Club In The Universe