RUFZ Program

/G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/ at mhs-relay.ac.uk /G=LAWLEYD/S=LAWLEY/PRMD=IBMMAIL/ADMD=IBMX400/C=GB/ at mhs-relay.ac.uk
Wed May 24 12:49:15 EDT 1995

RUFZ is an excellent little program. I was given a copy eighteen months or
so, and it has proved very popular at the RSGB HF Convention and with local
clubs.

Calls are sent just one at a time at differing pitches, but without QRM. So
it isn't exactly like the Kansas City tapes at Dayton. The clever thing is,
that for each callsign you copy correctly, the program speeds up a bit. I
think the algorithm also takes into account how quickly you respond with
the callsign. Conversely, when (not if) you miscopy a call, it slows down
a bit. 50 calls are sent in total.

The program therefore serves two training functions: (1) practice in copying
callsigns; (2) learning your way around a keyboard. It starts at about 30wpm
and good contesters start to get problems after 25 calls or so, when it is
up in the 50wpm region. On the other hand, it will slow right down to
12wpm or less, for the beginner. A score is computed, based on how many
calls you get right and how quickly you responded. At the end of the 50
callsigns, a 'top twenty' list of players is updated. Each player is only
allowed five attempts under his own call. These figures can be reset and
you can supply your own set of callsigns, which could be edited from a .ALL
file from the last big contest.

It's not Dr. DX, or NA/TR in practice mode, or a KCDXC run, but it is great
fun and pretty addictive. Roger G3SXW told me that when Wayne N7NG visited
him, he spent most of one evening trying to push his score higher and higher.
Presumably using all his alternate DX calls to get round the limit of five
attempts per person! I recommend that you download it when Tack makes it
available next week.

Back in the real world: look for GB6WW multi-single in the WPX CW contest,
operators will be G0CKP, G0UHK (NZ1W) and myself. And for those who care
about countries, GB6WW is in England.

73

Dave G4BUO