WC4E / WPX

paul at paccomm.com paul at paccomm.com
Wed May 31 12:42:51 EDT 1995

Hi. Well Jim hasn't come out with the long form version yet, so
I thought I'd jump the gun and give one of the operator's views!
The contest started well and fast. the rate meter was running up
250+ for the first couple of hours. All the computers were
working (wow) and incoming spots were good (but not of much use!).
Then...... about 3 hours in the rate dropped and stayed low for
the rest of the contest (zzzzzzzz).
We worked plenty of EU on 80, 40, 20 and 15. Don't recall anyhting
on 10m except maybe CT.
What did we break?   Looks like one of the Titan relays has gone
again (snore).   A Bencher LPF started doing weird things and looks
like it's blown up (!). Omni VI AGC started doing strange things.
And now the story of the TIC Ring........
Jim and Jeff spent several weekend days getting guys moved and the
TIC Ring wouldn't turn through EU. Jim goes to a hardware store
and manufactures a new idler wheel to stop the binding thats
going on. We fit it. It's tight thru 90-100 degrees but it moves.
Then about 30mins trying to understand the STUPID calibration
routine for the TIC box. It doesn't work as they say. Come back
Create where are you?
Next time I see the TIC just before the contest starts it's even
more crazy. When switched on, the meter swings with the preset
knob instantly and nothing turns up above. Luckily, the yagis on
EU and there it stays!
This heap of junk was supposed to turn MY 15m yagi (4ele) for the
weekend. The 4ele was fantastic at EU. In other directions I had
to use the KT-34A. I tried switching between the 4ele, KT and an R7.
The 4ele was always 20dB up on the KT and the sigs were inaudible
on the R7 !!!!!
Really, I'm surprised Jim has persevered with this thing. I was
always (as a nieve EU contester) in awe of these things.
It just finally confirms that there is only one rotator to turn
big arrays.....   the RC5E.....
Lousy conditions, but we broke our multiplier target and we made
6M+ for the first time from the station.
Heartfelt thanks to the Whites for their fantastic hospitality
(again) and to a team that's getting it together....
watch out! The FCG is after ya' ! TIC permitting......
Paul.
P.S. Thank God for LU's on 15m and 10m !!!!!!
Paul Evans, W4/G4BKI   paul at paccomm.com
+1 (813) 874-2980  Fax:+1 (813) 872-8696
Views expressed here are not necessarily those of PacComm.
I don't surf the internet, I SAIL IT!
Captain of S/V "Spindrift" (Catalina 36), Dunedin, FL.
PacComm Packet Radio Systems, Inc., 4413 N. Hesperides St., Tampa, FL 33614-7618