QSLs Deter Contest Operation

Sean E. Kutzko tigger at prairienet.org
Fri Nov 10 06:22:06 EST 1995

Dick, N6AA wrote:

>In my travels around the world, I've met a number of hams in somewhat rare
>countries that have curtailed their operation because of QSL cards. The
>number of cards received simply overwhelms people.

Getting QSL's if you are in a semi-rare to rare place is part of the
game; an occupational hazard, if you will.

[BY example snipped]

>Seems the guys with interest in operating in contests don't have equal
>enthusiasm for answering QSLs afterward. People complain about not getting
>cards to him. His solution is that it is better to not have contest contacts
>than to have unanswered QSLs. I doubt if volunteering to be a QSL manager
>for all China will solve the problem, unless someone wants to move to
>Beijing to minimize the interface problems.

I feel that this is a reasonable, albeit unfortunate, solution. If you
aren't willing to answer the cards from the folks that call you, you
shouldn't be calling "CQ Contest" in the first place.

Keep in mind that a significant number of folks that end up in the
contesters log are not in it for the contest at all...they're chasing
some award (DXCC, WAS, etc). They're kind enough to answer your CQ and
give you points, helping you achieve your goal. The least you can do is
answer that QSL card when it shows up, to help them achieve theirs.

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko						 Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL						 DXCC: 305 wkd/301 cfmd

	      "You can't close the door when the wall's caved in."