SS SSB from AA7TF

stuthill at micron.net stuthill at micron.net
Sun Nov 19 21:21:00 EST 1995

                       ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

  Call: AA7TF                Country: ID
  Mode: SSB                  Category: Single Operator Low Power

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS  ANTENNA

      160        0        0        -      None
       80       14       28        -      Dipole at 20'
       40       67      134        -      Dipole at 20'
       20       83      166        -      Tri-band inverted V at 20'
       15      120      240        -      ""
       10        0        0        -      ""
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    284     568       68

               Score:  38,624
               Total Time = 13 hours

               Rig: TS440

Comments
========
>From "micro-station" (meaning no beams), AA7TF. A triple of last
year's score which may not seem like much except that I live in a
no antenna CC&R sub-division. I attribute this years score to the
following:

* A doubling of the time I was on the air. This was possible
since my neighbors left town Saturday afternoon. And, since I get
into their stereo speakers whenever I get on the air, this was a
real factor.
* The stealth 40M and 75M dipoles I put up on Friday. The 40M
antenna played fairly well. The 75M less so, as expected by its
low height.

The total of 68 sections was not bad, but as usual, I was
surprised by what I missed: VE1, VE2, ME, EPA(!), EMA(!), SFL,
NFL, SC, and VE7(!) With the tri-band V under the eaves on the
northwest side of my house I have a blind spot to the Southeast
US and thus missed SC and the FLA's. I only had one GA, KM9P.
Also the northeast is off the end of the V making ME, VE2 and VE1
tough. Some other fun facts about sections and calls I worked:

* My most popular sections: STX-22 Q's, MI-20 Q's, IL-16 Q's, and
NTX-13 Q's reflect the usual 1 hop propagation on 15M into Idaho.
* VY1JA was fairly easy to work on 40M Sat night. I was surprised
when VE8EV called me Sun. afternoon on 15M.
* KP2/KE2VB was also fairly easy to work on Sun afternoon when he
was CQing for more contacts as he approached the 1,500 mark.
* I worked 2 KP4's both on the first call. (Though yes, I know, I
should have been able to work the FLA's but I never heard a one
the whole weekend.)
* I completed clean sweeps for AB6EQ, who's wife sounded quite
elated the quest was finally over, and W7FR was actually calling
"CQ Idaho" and had me call back!
* As numerical proof that 20M is where the Big Guns's hang out
here is my band breakdown by power level. "A"'s, if they call CQ
at all on 20M, were just not heard by little guys like me.

      "A"    "B"    "Q"
 75M  36%    64%
 40M  30%    66%     4%  ~ 1/3 on my CQ.
 20M  19%    81%         All S&P contacts
 15M  59%    39%     2%  ~ 2/3 on my CQ.

* Reflecting recent messages on the graying of contesters, the
breakdown of my Q's by decade was:

    90's -- 13%
    80's -- 15%
    70's -- 21%
    60'2 -- 26%
    50's -- 20%
pre 50's -- 5%

I agree we need to get new blood in contesting otherwise we just
are not going to have anyone to work! I will be sending QSL's out
to everyone from the class of 93 and later. They were:
KC7KFF(95), KB9KJU(95), KC5NTN(95), N9XBM(94), KG9DA(94),
KE6AGR(93), AB5SE(93), AB7CZ(93), VE8EV(93), KD6RVV(93)

* Finally thanks to everyone who had the patience to work my weak
signal. To put in the words of WB1GQR, "Keep yelling into your
mic, you are not in the log yet!"

Scott Tuthill/AA7TF  stuthill at micron.net

From: w7zrc at micron.net (Rod Greene) (Rod Greene)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 95 20:56 MST
Subject: W7ZRC SS SSB Score

>Call:          W7ZRC
>Class:         SO LP
>Section:       ID
>Score:         202,202
>Q's:           1313
>Multi's:       77
>Hours Wrkd:    23

       W7ZRC  SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 18-Nov-95, 19-Nov-95, 20-Nov-95

  160SSB      41          41         82       2
   80SSB     112         112        224       7
   40SSB     332         331        662      27
   20SSB     439         437        874       9
   15SSB     393         392        784      32

 Totals     1317        1313       2626      77

    Final Score = 202,202 points.

w7zrc at micron.net             Rod Greene W7ZRC             Boise ID    DN13UN

From: Hans Brakob <71111.260 at compuserve.com> (Hans Brakob)
Date: 19 Nov 95 23:03:58 EST
Subject: SS Phone K0HB

      Call: K0HB
      Mode: SSB
      Section: MN
      Category: Single Op, High Power, 23 Hours

      BAND     QSO
       80      268
       40      305
       20      538
       15      244
     -----------------
     Totals   1355
     Sections:  77
     Score:  208,670

From: Tony and Celia Becker <becker at shell.portal.com> (Tony and Celia Becker)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 22:07:43 -0500
Subject: AE0M SS SSB Score and Story

                    SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995
Mode: SSB
Call: AE0M
Excg: B 67 SCV
 Ops: AE0M and N0BBS
 Hrs: 19.2
Club: Northern California Contest Club
 Cat: Multi-Single, One Radio, no packet
 RIG: FT-990, FL7000 at 500W & 486DX2-66 MHz running CT9.

     BAND     QSOs   Points    Mults   Ants (100% aluminum free)
       80       60      120        9    Delta Loop @ 8'
       40       99      198       17    Delta Loop @ 10'
       20      141      282       28    Delta Loop @ 20'/ Attic Dipole
       15      194      388       22    Delta Loop @ 20'/ Attic Dipole
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    494      988       76     => Score:  75,088

Life is too short for CC&Rs.  The HOA BoD moved up their meeting to
November 13 without notifying us, apparently forgetting they had instructed
us in writing to respond by November 20, the original meeting date.  A
default notice and order that the antennas must come down arrived in
Saturday's mail.  Of course Celia skipped operating for several hours to
determine the error wasn't ours, copy and hand deliver the two letters
contradicting one another, field phone calls from the board as some first
tried to insist they knew what they were doing, etc.

Interruptions, interruptions, how're ya s'posed ta have any FUN??????

Meanwhile Celia was also sorting out family decisions about Thanksgiving
before shopping for that and SS.  Later, at the only open post office, the
battery on the car died.  Since Tony was wearing headphones and lost on 20
meters frantic calls home raised only the answering machine.

Next, AAA misdirected her call so she waited two hours before finally
reaching home to swap vehicles and try again.  Then she got stuck in line
behind someone with a check problem so bad, it took two clerks, the
assistant manager,  manager, and over 20 minutes to clear up.  Meanwhile
she lost each race to another checkout line (her cart was fuller, and one
of the wheels kept sticking).  Say, this is EXACTLY like operating 20m SS
with a delta loop antenna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I guess she didn't miss anything!

Dinner at 11 p.m. put her to sleep soon after.  No 40m allnighter here.

Sunday morning: more HOA phone calls.  They have finally agreed that the
dates conflicted and caused a misunderstanding, and granted a reprieve so
we still have outdoor antennas until the next meeting in mid Dec.  More
family phone calls.  After Celia has bought Turkey, trimmings, etc., no
family is coming to eat it.  At least 15m is open early, and in good shape.

Celia finally gets about an hour and a half straight of operating time,
loses frequency twice to claim jumpers and twice to tuner uppers.  Then QRN
something akin to Russian woodpecker arrives, followed by AM signals that
should be in a museum.  Just think what would have happened on 14.230...

Sunday afternoon: another 3-1/2 hours gone to receive wallpaper in San
Francisco from the Estonian DoD for ham gear donated to youth groups and
past services (they were embarrassingly grateful for that old Atlas 350XL).

Last hour, 40m:  Only missing one section, South Carolina.  Celia HEARD ONE
S&Ping with 30 min to go.  She nearly caught him three times, so now we
know how Col. Tarleton felt about the Swamp Fox.  Celia did manage to
improve her skills listening to--and working--stations only 1 kHz apart
through AM broadcast.  She is still hearing heterodynes right now...

:)

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker at shell.portal.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.

From: Kulkki Jari <jkulkki at ncspmr04es.ntc.nokia.com> (Kulkki Jari)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 10:22:00 eet
Subject: Myanmar next operation

I'll be going to Myanmar for a period of 23.11-30.11 and operate in
CQ WW CW with call XZ1A.  That is if no surprises come up in the
last moment !  The class is SOAB most probably.
After the contest I'll be mostly on SSB and try to activate the low bands
as well.  Good luck, especially those who need XZ for the first time !

Jari, OH1EB

From: Larry Schimelpfenig <lschim at mailstorm.dot.gov> (Larry Schimelpfenig)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 06:42:55 -0500 (EST)
Subject: your mail

Does anyone know who G. Mike Maples is? He keeps sending what is
apparently personal E-Mail to someone else (PA3ERC ?) to the reflector.
He either hasn't received or has chosen to ignore my mail concerning his
abuse. Sorry to take up the bandwidth trying to reduce the garbage on here.

de Larry K7SV - lschim at mailstorm.dot.gov

From: Marijan Miletic <s56a at ljutcp.hamradio.si> (Marijan Miletic)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 11:32:44 0
Subject: WWW.Hamradio.SI

Regarding JE1CKA interest in S50C photos and other recent postings regarding
WorldWideWeb, let me inform this forum that ZRS, Slovenian Amateur Radio
Society has a nice pages under WWW.Hamradio.SI/hamradio with plenty of pictures
from big contest sites as published in our local magazine.  Mind you, we got
more hams per head of population than USA (easy with 7K hams on 2M people).
CU CQ WW CW de Mario, S56A, N1YU.
P.S.  The credit for S5 WWW goes to Bajko, S57BBA and USA Soros foundation!

From: Pete Smith <n4zr at ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 05:43:10 -0800
Subject: Phone SS

Operated about 8 hours, roughly 36K.  I hate phone.

But the reason for posting anything at all is to recount a very satisfying
run-in with the good-ole-boys on about 3880.  I had found a good hole and
settled in running when, after about 10 minutes, the harassment started.
For a change (good antennas do make a difference) I was able to run right
through the repetitious unidentified complaints, profanity, flatulences,
etc. After a half-hour or so it sounded like every ill-mannered jammer on 75
was on my frequency, and just at that moment, though the rate was still OK,
my computer crashed.  Rather than try to re-establish the run once I got it
going again, I moved, but after about 10 minutes I tuned back across the
frequency.  THEY WERE STILL THERE, JAMMING EACH OTHER!!!  How sweet it was!

73,

Pete N4ZR (n4zr at ix.netcom.com)

From: Douglas S. Zwiebel" <0006489207 at mcimail.com (Douglas S. Zwiebel)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 09:13 EST
Subject: Ham IV (M) owners: WARNING!

I just spent way too much time up on the back tower, trying to
direct replace a Ham IV rotator.  After much research (including
on this forum) I decided that the cheapest way to go (rotator-
wise) was to simply buy another Ham IV and have one in transit
getting fixed (or in reserve) while another is in the air.  At
< $100.00 per repair (way less) I could get MANY repairs done
over MANY years before I would reach the dollar value of one of
the BIG rotators (create/orion/etc), now averaging well over
$1k, as high as $1.3K.

Well guess what guys, the NEW Ham IV won't fit the old template
exactly.  Seems like HG/Telex finally went along with C.A.T.S.,
and is now using a pig-tail and 9 pin (large) connector instead
of the traditional terminal strip.  The pig-tail comes through
this MASSIVE strain relief which DOES NOT ALLOW it (in my case)
to fit the predrilled Ham IV (or M) shelf on my towers.  The
strain relief assembly is SO BIG, it gets in the way and I could
not align all 4 holes (actually, only 1).  So there I am up in
the air AFTER having just installed the new 40m beam, wrestling
with this (*&$%^(*^)*& new rotator.  By twisting the strain
relief assembly (it is hex shaped), I got one side parallel
to side of the "hole" in the shelf.  That allowed me to get 2
holes connected.  The final solution was to TAKE THE STRAIN
RELIEF ASSEMBLY OFF...well, at least the bottom half that I
was able to access.  That made all the difference in the world.

So if you want to avoid MY error, you can:
1) take off the strain relief (bottom half)...or
2) file down the strain relief (bottom half) so that it fits....or
3) enlarge the hole in the rotator shelf (yeah, sure).....or
4) buy another rotator brand and start over.

Also, apparently about a year or so ago, HG/Telex started to PAINT
the bell housing on this series of rotators.  But the hardware is
unchanged.  This means that the U bolts that straddle the mast are
JUST BARELY long enough.  I use a 2" OD mast and by placing the
split lock on first, I was able to get about 1 turn of the nut onto
the bolt (by hand) before it "bottoms out."  It's real easy to
lose hardware when it's in that condition.  Once it was fully
tightened (socket set), the best I could do was to have the nut
FLUSH with the end of the U bolt.  Well, at least all of the
threads are now engaged, but it is not easy.  Their paint job
stinks, too.

The good news is, I was able to buy JUST the outside rotator
(from C.A.T.S) for VASTLY LESS than anyone else, who would
only sell the complete set (rotator & control box).  Yes, I
still did get a manual and warranty card!  At first, I thought
I had been fooled and had been sold a rebuild, but a quick
look at the manual shows that, indeed, this is how they do it
now (HG/Telex, that is).

Hope this saves at least someone some of the aggravation I
had to go through (and in the air too).  I never realized
that I had such a colorful vocabulary!!

de Doug   KR2Q at mcimail.com

From: Bill Straw <0007359114 at mcimail.com> (Bill Straw)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 09:23 EST
Subject: WB0O SSB SS SCORE

WB0O  SINGLE OP HIGH POWER

BAND  Q's  ANTENNA
------------------
160    69  INV-L
 75   342  ELEVATED 4-SQUARE, INV-V at 50'
 40   391  ELEVATED 4-SQUARE, INV-V at 50'
 20   552  TH7 at 50', FORCE 12 DXer @ 50'
 15   105    ( QTH IS ON A 400' HILL)
---------------------------------------
1459 X 77 = 224,686  16 HOURS
                     --------

LOWLITES:

   The contest was an absolute disaster.

1) Plugged the W2IHY voice keyer in about 2 hours
   before the test and it started smelling and died
   on the spot.
2) At 2300Z on Saturday, the TS930 went PSSSST and
   died on the spot. It's gotta be bad cuz the line
   fuse isn't blown. It took me an hour of prime time
   to hook the other 930 to the linear cuz the T/R
   control cable wouldn't reach.
3) At 1730Z on Sunday morning, something in the Titan
   blew up. No smoke, no smell, but sounded like a one
   inch firecracker. Made me jump right out of the
   chair. Replaced the line fuses and they blew.
   END OF CONTEST.

HIGHLITES:

  I finally bought a DUNESTER signal splitter. Made all
the transmission lines about equal length. The 4-squares
have 40-60 db front to side so the addition of the low
inv-v's really helped.
  The best part was having one tribander pointed SE and
and the other SW. 20M was great. Since the Dunestar has
three ports, the plans for next year include a low 10-el
wire beam pointed straight South at Texas, to help keep
the run freq clear of those pesky W5's.

Congrats to WD0T @ W0SD for the Best in the Dakotas Award.

BILL WB0O  ALMOST RIGLESS IN NORTHERN NORTH DAKOTA

From: Mark Bailey <bailey at integ.com> (Mark Bailey)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 10:00:23 EST
Subject: M/S from KG4

KG4MN and I will be on as a multi-single for CQWW CW using KG4MN.  Look for
KG4NA (probable call) fiddling around before the contest.

73.

Mark Bailey, KD4D          bailey at integ.com

From: w1ihn at gnn.com (Bert Michaud) (Bert Michaud)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:01:30
Subject: SS Fone Results

W1IHN SO/HP Unassisted     Exchange: # B W1IHN 56 NC

Q's= 228  Sections= 77  Final Score= 35,112  Hrs Op= 6.5

Amazing how quickly I got a clean sweep...VG6JY was the last
one, #202! Great meeting old friends again. See y'all in CQWW.
73, Bert W1IHN

From: George Cook <george at epix.net> (George Cook)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:33:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Sweepstakes 95 phone

     Call used: AA3JU                                         Location: EPA

     Category: Multi-Single Xmtr          Mode: SSB             Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: AA3JU

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:

     Exchanged Information: nr B AA3JU 93 EPA

     Hours of Operation: 19:08

     band      QSOs     points
     DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
     160         15         30
      75        484        968
      40         61        122
      20         86        172
      15         95        190
      10          0          0
     DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
     TOTAL      741       1482   X   77 multipliers  =  114,114

     Club or Team Name: FRC

     Comments:
     I gotta SWEEP!!!
     Hey it was a big deal for me.  Once having done that I looked at the
     time and realized that there was lots left so I went for a score.

     Hardware: Kenwood TS930-S, Henry (the Howitzer) 2K
     Classic-X, Homebrew P53/75, Heil HC-5 in a Telrex headset.
     10, 15, 20 2 el Gem Quad
     20 5 el wire yaggi aimed at the Yukon (he he he)
     40 Delta loop (TV eliminator) Dipole
     80 Matched Yaggis (Thunder in the sky)
     160 Folded Dipole

     Highlights: I gotta SWEEP! Oh I mentioned that.  Being called out
     on the cluster as LOUD, talking with some old friends here and there,
     the deep pileup on 75 both nights, NO EQUIPMENT FAILURES!!!! Getting
     Alaska, Yukon and VI early on and working Montana on 160.

     Mid Lites: Having to work my run station on 75 in the Extra portion
     of the band because of the Lids found between 3.850 - 3.900.  It was
     a real pleasure to work the pileup of Extras especially the OTs who
     come on just to give out a point or two, but the reason I got there
     was anything but pleasurable.  I wish that I could only have an
     opportunity to do something very unnantural with these fellows
     "license" (in frame) and there rectums.

     Low Lites: Lids.  Also being informed by N3SWA (my wife) that seeing
     that I had again lived on Kim Chee, Chilli, Hard Boiled Eggs, Cheetohs
     and Coke for an entire weekend, that she was absolutely certain that
     "It is NOT the dog".  I hate it when she pins down the covers just
     under her chin. Makes it hard to roll over.

     CUnCQ

     AA3JU

* George Cook   AA3JU  Bangor, PA  FN21         *
* george at peach.epix.net  AA3JU at N3IQD.EPA.USA.NA *
* If you're not FRC remember:...............    *
* .......There's no shame in being 2nd best!    *

From: Hans Brakob <71111.260 at compuserve.com> (Hans Brakob)
Date: 20 Nov 95 10:31:42 EST
Subject: Greying Contesters

Maybe (...only maybe) the trend is changing, at least in SS?

During SS (especially Phone), I had an impression that I was working a lot of
checks in the 90's (more than I expected, anyhow). Also a seeming increase in
YL's.

Someone (sorry, I forgot who... the message scrolled) calculated the "percentage

by decade" of contacts in his SS log, and showed 13% of the checks were in the
90's. That number strikes me as somewhat encouraging, considering that the
decade is just over half completed.  I know the math is a bit more subtle,
but seems a "weighted" figure for a half-decade would make that around 25%.

I know "check" is not an ENTIRELY valid indicator because operations from
borrowed calls, such as college club stations, will mask some of the
younger ops, but those errors will deflate (not inflate) the apparent
"youthward" trend. As an example, about a dozen operators participated in
a local club group effort at W0HK.  All of those operators were newer
than the station check (57), and in fact most of them would have had a
personal check in the 80's and 90's.

When I get another round tuit I think I'll look at my SS CW and SSB
logs and do a breakdown in 5-year buckets (ie 50-54, 55-59, ...... 90-94).
Might also be interesting to see a CW-vs-Phone comparison.

73, de Hans, K0HB

From: Tim S. Ellam  <TELLAM at mccarthy.ca> (Tim S. Ellam  <TELLAM at mccarthy.ca>)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 10:40:24 -0500
Subject: VE6SH QRP SS SCORE

                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

      Call: VE6SH                    Country:
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator QRP

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80       22       44        -
       40       24       48        -
       20      105      210        -
       15       28       56        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    179      358       70

               Score:  25,060

Power Output: __5__ watts     Hours of operation:  8____

Equipment Description: IC 761/751 reduced to 5 watts, Force 12 C3 @ 55',
slopers for
40/rotatable dipole, inveted L for 80

Whining:

Plans for this weekend were all set when I unexpectantly received a call from
one of my clients on
Saturday morning. "Up here early" he explained " you don't mind if we meet
today around
2:00(2100Z)?". I did, but what was I supposed to say? I thought I could miss the
first few hours
of the contest and then make a big push in the evening-be home by 5:00 at the
latest. However,
client insisted on being entertained(You had no plans for this evening did you?)
so instead of
S&Ping on 20 at 5:00 I was at the local Hard Rock. Said client finally
succumbed to the effects of
more potent Canadian lager at 0700Z and I finally reached home at 0800Z. At
0840Z while on
40M I set of not only my supposedly bullet proof alarm system, but my
neighbours as well!
Hmmm-RF problems somewhere! Wasted valuable time placating the local
constabulary,
especially when they could find no record of my alarm permit(Its in the mail).

So much for 40-spent a few hours on 80 and then crashed until the morning.
20/15 were in great
shape and I spent a few hours with some good runs-worked all the difficult
mults(VY1JA was
begging for contacts-welcome to propagation from the North Bruce!!) when
diaster struck-
Another neighbour called over to mention that my 5 watt signal was causing
some TVI-normally
this would not be a problem, but Sunday was the 84th Grey Cup game and was
doubly
compounded as the Stampeders would be trying to ensure we did not lose to
one of the pesky
American CFL franchises(we did-another cultural icon gone!)-shut things down
at 2100Z
otherwise would have had probably approached my last years total for Qs.

From: mwollnnn at colybrand.com (Marty Woll -- BA - Honolulu ) (Marty Woll -- BA - Honolulu )
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 10:43:06 EST
Subject: Need N6RA's Tel #

Sorry for B/W but 411 no help. Need Tom Gallagher's phone numbers,
work and/or home. Reply to mwollnnn at colybrand.com

          |--------------------------------------------------|
          |  Marty Woll N6VI/KH6  < mwollnnn at colybrand.com>  |
          |  59-758 Kanalani Place,  Haleiwa, HI 96712       |
          |  (H) 808-638-7720                                |
          |  (W) 808-531-3666        FAX (W) 808-531-3433    |
          |--------------------------------------------------|

From: weinfurtner at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu (Greg Weinfurtner) (Greg Weinfurtner)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:02:24 -0400
Subject: W8PZS(Ohio University ARC) SS Scores

Call:  W8PZS  Ohio University Amateur Radio Club
Class: A
Section: OH
Score: 7332
Q's 156
Multi's 47
Hours Wrkd 5

Contest Gang,
        Not exactly an earth-shattering score, but I think we did pretty
good considering that we operated from my office with 100 watts and a
"phantom antenna", 80 meter loop on the roof with ethernet equipment
(DIGITAL QRM MAX!) within about 20 feet of it!  S meter was S5-9
constantly.
        BUT OHIO UNIVERSITY IS BACK ON THE AIR!  We had three operators,
myself NS8O group advisor, N3TDL Chris and Sarah, KB3GGE(I don't think I
got her call right...)  It was their first contest operation and Chris said
it all right after he worked the Alaska station, "Geesh, its easy to see
how you'd get addicted to this!"
        Hey...any OU alums out there?  Send me e-mail direct and let me
know!  I want to write up a little history of the OU amateur radio club and
would love to hear what you have to say.

73 from the Big School on the banks of the lovely Hocking River...

*     NN    N  SSSSS  888888  OOOOO   Greg Weinfurtner AEE BSS *
*    N N   N  S      8    8  O   O    Electronic Design Splst  *
*   N  N  N  SSSSS  888888  O   O     Ohio University  Athens  *
*  N   N N      S  8    8  O   O                               *
* N    NN  SSSSS  888888  OOOOO                                *
*                                   Canst thou send lightnings *
*  Amateur Radio NS8O               that they may go and say   *
*                                   unto thee,'Here we are'?   *
* weinfurtner at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu                  Job 38:35 *

From: Richard Hallman <ki3v at connectus.com> (Richard Hallman)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 21:31:05 pst
Subject: KI3V/7 SS Phone Results/Comments

               ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

  Call: KI3V/7              State: Nevada
  Mode: SSB                 Category: Single Operator-High Power
                                                 Single Radio...
 BAND     QSO     COMMENTS

 160        0  - Nope
  80      143  - Too noisy...Band never seemed to go long for us.
  40      679  - Band seemed to close down at 0300-0600z!
  20      892  - Caution!! Stay away from the SSTVers, Nets, Rag
Chewers!!
  15      409  - Most of these Q's were from Sat Afternoon...Sunday was
DEAD!
  10        0  - Nope
-----------------------------------

Totals   2123   X   77 Sections

               Score:  326,942

Operating Time:  23 Hours!!

Comments:

- 20 meters seemed to be the biggest problem.  Just when you had a run
going, here comes the nose pickers net that meets on your freq
EVERY DAMN DAY and they WILL NOT MOVE!!  They will jam you, call you
names, and complain about the contesters and all the QRM.....But do
you think they will turn the rig off and go watch TV???   Nope...

  I think the ARRL should have ALL these useless nets move to the WARC
bands....What a great place for them!!  Away from the majority...
Cant wait till I turn 102 and join one of these nets!!!  Next.....

- After the last comment....I forget the rest!! ha

- Thanks to AA6KX for going to VY1JA.  Thanks to VE8EV for being
on, and also Thanks to all the KP2/NP2 stations that were on!!
Sure made life easy.....

                        See Ya!!

                          Rich  KI3V/7=1A

Richard Hallman               ki3v at connectus.com
11870 Heartpine St           =

Reno Nv  89506               ki3v at w7ta.#nonev.nv

From: Dan Ransom" <RANSOM at FOLEY.GONZAGA.EDU (Dan Ransom)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:37:59 PST
Subject: K7MM SS SSB Single Op A EWA

                        ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

      Call: K7MM                   Section:  Eastern Washington  EWA
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator,
                                                                Low Power (A)

      BAND     QSO

      160        0
       80       35               Inverted Vee, 60 feet
       40      223              40-2CD, 80 feet
       20      315              KT-34XA, 74 feet
       15      353              KT-34XA, 74 feet
       10        0
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    926           77   SWEEP!

     Score:  142,604

Thanks to those stations on from the "tough" sections: WY, DEL, NWT,
VI, and my last one ...... South Carolina (2100 UTC Sunday
afternoon..... Thanks W8CNL!)

15M was really good..... and 80M was really bad!  Saturday night was
totally frustrating in that I could hear everyone, my noise level was
very low....but apparently noise levels were high at the receiving
sites and stations could not hear me!  This was confirmed for me on
Sunday night when my 80M noise level was at S9; quite a change from
the previous night.    Hurry back, Sunspots!

Dan Ransom K7MM
RANSOM at FOLEY.GONZAGA.EDU
(509) 328-4220 X3825 Voice
(509) 324-5904 Fax

From: Pete Smith <n4zr at ix.netcom.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:49:22 -0800
Subject: 10-meter beacons

As an aid to spotting 10-meter DX openings for CQWW and the 10-meter
contest, I thought the following edited list of 10-meter beacons might be of
general interest.  It's derived from a list maintained by RSGB, which I
found on their WWW page.

Hope springs eternal, I guess!

28180 IK1PCB   Bordighera     JN33UT  5/20    2x5/8 Vert Omni A1    24
28195 IY4M     Bologna        JN54QK   20    5/8 GP     Omni  A1 ROBOT/24
28211 LA4TEN   Sotra I.       JP20MG  250    Vertical   Omni  A1    24
28215 GB3RAL   Nr Didcot      IO91IN   25    1/4 GP     Omni  F1    24
28220 5B4CY    Zyyi           KM64PR   26    GP         Omni  F1    24
28223 HG5GEW   Tapolca        JN86NQ   10    GP         Omni  F1    24
28230 ZL1MHF   Mt Climie      RE78BU    1    Vert. Dip  Omni  A1    24
28250 Z21ANB   Bulawayo       KG47     25    GP         Omni  F1    24
28250 PI7BQC   Haarlem        JO22HK    2                     A1    24
28250 EA3JA    Barcelona      JN11BI                          A1    24
28250 S55ZRS   Mt Kum         JN76MC    1    Vertical   Omni  A1    24
28252 OH2TEN   Lohja          KP20AG   50    5/8 GP     Omni  A1    24
28257 DK0TEN   Konstanz       JN57NP   40    GP         Omni  F1    24
28260 VK5WI    Adelaide       PF95GD   10    GP         Omni  A1    24
28262 VK2RSY   Dural          QF56MH   25    1/2 Vert   Omni  A1    24
28264 VK6RWA   Perth          OF78WB                          A1    24
28265 VK4RIK   Cairns         QH23                            A1    24
28265 LU1FHH   Santa Fe       FF98                            A1    24
28266 VK6RTW   Albany         OF84                            A1    24
28267 OH9TEN   Pirttikoski    KP36OI   20    1/2 GP     Omni  A1    24
28269 VK8VF    Darwin         PH57KP                          A1    24
28275 ZS1LA    Still Bay      KF05QK   20    3-el Yagi  N     F1    24
28277 DF0AAB   Kiel           JO54GH   10    GP         Omni  F1    24
28282 OK0EG    Hradec Kralove JO70     10    Dipole           F1    24
28290 SK5TEN   Strengnes      JO89KK   75    GP         Omni  A1    24

From: k8mr at barf80.nshore.org (Jim Stahl) (Jim Stahl)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 09:36:31 EST
Subject: K8MR Phone SS

                    1995  ARRL NOVEMBER SWEEPSTAKES

     Call used: K8MR                                      Location: OH

     Category: Single Op All Band     Mode: SSB            Power: 1500

     Callsign of Operator: K8MR

     Hours of Operation: 11:05

     band      QSOs     points
 ----------------------------------
     160         51        102
      75        544       1088
      40         54        108
      20        110        220
      15         50        100
      10          0          0
 ----------------------------------
     TOTAL      809       1618   X   77 multipliers  =  124,586

     Club or Team Name: MAD RIVER RADIO CLUB

     Comments:

     1.  160 was amazing!  New sections worked there included VE5,
     VE6, MT, ID, NE, WWA, SV. VE5SF was loud; N9ITX/7 (MT) was
     booming. The rate was good as well.

     2.  Trying to find a freq on 75 Saturday evening, I happpened
     across a bloody mess of carriers and other strange noises. I
     heard a couple of guys (K3WW, WO9S(?)) try to use it without
     success, but I decided I had little to lose, so started calling.
     The noises persisted and got even stranger, but I was able to
     run a reasonable though not spectacular rate.  After maybe 20
     minutes or so the wierdo gave up - and my rate went *down* !
     Go figure.   Also, somehow on Sunday night I ran over a hundred
     QSOs on 3895.  Do alligators go to church these days?

     3.  From a perspective of one who did mostly CQing in both modes
     of SS, the turnout of new hams on phone was quite impressive.  I
     estimate that at least a third of my phone QSOs were with guys
     licensed in the 90's.  OTTH on CW anyone 1980 or later was scarce.
     I take this to say there is a good future for contesting, though
     not necessarily on CW.

Jim   K8MR    k8mr at barf80.nshore.org

----------------------------
Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr at barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 216/237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 14.4k-300 baud

From: Gary Nieborsky <k7fr at ncw.net> (Gary Nieborsky)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:31:46 -0700
Subject: ss ssb 95

ARRL SWEEPSTAKES -- 1995

      Call: K7FR                     Country:EWA
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS

      160        0        0        -
       80      105      210        -
       40      268      536        -
       20      424      848        -
       15      567     1134        -
       10        0        0        -
     -----------------------------------

     Totals   1364     2728       77

               Score:  210,056

Hi-lites

If any body would have told me that I would do over a 1000 Q's at the bottom
of the sunspot cycle I probably would have bet them a sizeable chunk of
change against them.  Wow....what condx!  Pushed the last 10 q meter over
300 a couple of times, last 100 ran at 153 for a while.  15 was so good that
I just couldn't break away to look for local sections.  Had pretty much
written off BC and MAR when I heard XM7CFD calling CQ on 15M.  He heard me
fine but all I could pull out was his call.  Fortunately he had the presence
of mind to realize I didn't get his exchange and was willing to work with
me.  Rotated the beam so much looking for a path that my wife came in and
said that the beam was aimlessly wandering and asked if something was wrong!
Was called by VE1PZ for a sweep and managed to work 5 more after that!  4
VY/VE8, 3 VI's and more VE4's than would fit in the F8 window.  Great fun.
EWA produced some huge scores this year!  If you didn't work this section it
wasn't because we weren't there!

See you all in CQWW CW!!

Gary K7FR

From: Ray Rocker <rocker at datasync.com> (Ray Rocker)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:59:55 -0600 (CST)

> but after about 10 minutes I tuned back across the
> frequency.  THEY WERE STILL THERE, JAMMING EACH OTHER!!!  How sweet it was!

Naw, they weren't jamming each other. That there's what them good ole
boys call a KYOO-SOH! That, it so happens, is the primary frequency of
the Worked All Morons Net. They exchange their favorite four-letter
words and slurs and bodily-produced noises, working toward a whole slate
of colorful awards. On Sunday evenings in November, they often go off
frequency to pass gas^H^H^Htraffic and wind up spread out every 5 kHz
or so in the upper half of 75 meters.

;-)

Ray, duuubya KYOO fahhhve elll

From: Cleve D Leclair <dleclair at efn.org> (Cleve D Leclair)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:58:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: N7IXG SS SO/HP

               ARRL SWEEPSTAKES 1995
      CALL: N7IXG                 COUNTRY: USA
                MODE: SSB CLASS: SO
      Band  QSO   PTS SECTIONS
      160     0    0     0
       80    30   60    10
       40    23   46    11
       20   160  320    20
       15   218  436    33
       10     1    2     1
     Totals 432  864    75 => 64,800

Power Output: 500 watts

Equipment Description: FT-757GX, SB-200, 2L TRIBANDER @ 50 FT,
                       ROTATABLE DIPOLE FOR 40M @ 55 FT, G5RV @ 30 FT.

Club Affiliation: VALLEY RADIO CLUB of EUGENE, OREGON

HI-point: working 75 sections. no equipment smoke. making 432 Q's.
          no equipment smoke. The Ducks are going to the COTTON BOWL...

LOW-point: Does anyone REAL live in NFL?? or SF?? missing sweep by 2...

Now for CQWW-CW......599-03  599-T3

Cleve/Don - N7IXG

From: Bauer, Scott J" <sjb at rfpo2.rfc.comm.harris.com (Bauer, Scott J)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 13:07:00 EST
Subject: ss ssb score

1995 Sweepstakes - SSB

Station:       K2ZJ         Op:   WA2LCC
Single Operator  High Power

Station #1                        Station #2
TS-930                             TS-930
SB-220                             SB-220
plus MLA-2500 on 160 meters

Band     QSOs
160            18        Loaded 70 ft tower as vertical
  80          923        Inv-vee @ 70 feet,    ain't no meters like 80
meters !
  40          307        3 el KLM  @ 100 feet, + inv-vee
  20          207        4 el homebrew @ 90 feet
  15          106        KT-34XA @ 70 feet
  10               0        KT-34XA @ 70 feet.    Maybe next year
 ----------------------------
Total       1561   x   77  sections   =   240,394

Comments:

Made up a microphone switch box for the two radio set-up.  Electronic
switching to eliminate the old scratchy rotary switch.  Added foot switch
feature to allow momentary switching to the secondary radio without taking
the hands off the keyboard.  Really made the primary to secondary radio
switching easy.  Much smoother on the 2nd radio QSOs.

Like you mid-west guys,  from the mid-east (Syracuse NY) there ain't no
meters like 80 meters.   If 80 was noisy I would have quit !

I was very impressed with the quantity of younger and female operators.  Not
like all you OFs on CW.  A lot of new guys/girls/women on SSB.

And on the 30 hours format.  KEEP the 24 out of 30 hour format.  NO change
necessary  for Sweepstakes.  This is what has made SS the popular contest it
is for many, at least for me.  Don't give it a DX contest format, right
Billy ?

Thanks to VE8EV for remembering to get on !   Only heard the EV but knew it
was him and turned the yagi to the NW.  Some calls you just know.

CU all at Dayton

73 Scott WA2LCC (@K2ZJ)
sjb at RFP02.rfc.comm.harris.com