SS and Comment de K8NZ

Nzharps at aol.com Nzharps at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 19:02:08 EST 1995

SSB SS  K8NZ

 110-53   11,660   4 hours

 North Coast Contesters

"A" power Multi Op with H.S. freshman KG8TS.

   Had to bail out of chance to operate K8AZ for phone weekend, so
invited contest newcomer Evan, KG8TS to play radio.  Was fun
talking strategy, tactics, etc. while contest was in progress and
also very gratifying to see that youthful gleem in his eye as he
walked into a "shack" that was obviously better equipped than any
one he had ever operated in before.  Think we have a new contester
in the making here in Northeastern OH.

   It may be worthy to note for those of us worried about the
future of our "sport", that I met Evan at a local radio club meeting.
In the many suggestions that I have read about how to infuse new
blood into Contesting, I don't recall anyone saying, "go to a local
club meeting and make a new friend that might have an interest
in HF contests."  I wonder if we as contesters have isolated our-
selves from the general ham population.  Does anyone else think
that the explosion of contest oriented clubs in the last 20 years
or so has had any effect on the amount of younger contesters?

    Now that I've got that off my chest, it's time to get ready for
important stuff like Thanksgiving turkey and CQWW CW pile-ups.

    Happy Tnxgiving to all,
    Ron, K8NZ