Tower Surgery

n0dh at comtch.iea.com n0dh at comtch.iea.com
Thu Oct 26 21:48:21 EDT 1995

 George Cutsogeorge <0006354141 at mcimail.com> wrote:

>If some weight is added to the mast a foot above the end going
>into the tower the center of gravity can be lowered.  This
>would allow the 10 foot gin pole to be used.  Once the end of the
>mast is safely inserted into the tower, the weight can be removed.

TILT ( no pun intended) Be very careful with this approach!!!! The
original poster was trying to put a 25' mast in place. Unless I
miss my guess I would say that this mast probably weighs almost
200 lbs by itself since I suspect that it has pretty thick
walls for that length to be useful. Adding more weight to it to
counterbalance it puts a lot strain on the GIN pole. Most Gin
Poles and hams too for that matter aren't "tooled" to handle
250 to 300 lbs of mast!! I'm not saying this approach won't work
Its just that there are probably safer ways to do it.

Dave
N0DH/7