Rotatots

William Osborne wosborne at utdallas.edu
Mon Oct 30 08:51:03 EST 1995

I would like to hear from people using sidemounted rotators and ring
rotators.  What brands, how well do they work and how much do they
cost?   THANKS for the help!
William Osborne
wosborne at utdallas.edu
214-883-6888

From: De Syam <syam at Glue.umd.edu> (De Syam)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:05:40 -0500 (EST)
Subject: CQWW SSB: K3ZO Results and Comments

Herewith the line score for K3ZO single-op all bands unassisted
in CQWW SSB

         Band        QSO      Zones   Countries

          160         13         7        10
           80        148        15        51
           40        187        20        66
           20       1118        32       119
           15        769        27        96
           10         17         3         4
        TOTALS      2252       104       348    =   2,903,196

The contest started off with a tornado warning in effect for this
area, heavy rain and precip static on all the Yagis.  The 4-el Quad
sure was great to have in this case especially!   However I should
add that 40 meter sigs from Europe were so strong that the precip static
on my 40 meter Yagi wasn't really bothersome by comparison.

Antennas:
160  two half-slopers off 140' tower
 80  3-el KLM Yagi @ 140'
 40  3-el Telrex Yagi @ 94' (46' boom)
 20  6-el Telrex Yagi @ 150'
 20,15,10    4-el W6PU dual-driven Quad @ 78'

I started off with the TR logging program I normally use but due to
configurations made on my computer since the last contest TR ran out of
RAM after 67 QSO's.  (NOT TR's fault).  After one and a half hours of
downtime trying to correct everything I finally loaded a version of CT
7.22 I had around and from then on everything was fine.

15 and 20 were so good this time that I looked around less for
multipliers than I usually do.  It shows in the score, but, anyway, I had
600 more QSO's and 600 K-points more than last year.  Probably due to
conditions, not strategy.

Interesting to note the difference on 20 between my 4-el Quad at 78' and
the 6-el Yagi at 150'.  The morning run is usually better on the high
antenna for the first hour and then begins to change, with the lower
antenna taking command after about 2 hours.   Then during the afternoon
opening the quad is a monster antenna but at about 2000 GMT the path to
Europe shifts and the high antenna becomes the better one again, but to
get maximum benefit from the opening you have to beam at 75-80 degrees
from then on!   This was the first time that I stayed with the European
opening until the bitter end in the late afternoons on 20 and my
multiplier total shows the effect of not looking around more for mults,
but it may be a better strategy to take the Q's where you can get them
regardless.

Off to HS in a couple of days, back just in time for CQWW CW.  In the
meantime look for me on the bands as HS0ZAR.

No SS for K3ZO this year!  No fights with the unwashed on 75 phone!  I
love it!

                                       Very 73,

                                       Fred Laun, K3ZO