Control Cables and RFI

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Sep 5 21:12:42 EDT 1995

In a message dated 95-09-05 10:37:21 EDT, maca at maca.sarnoff.com (MACA)
writes:

>	Server Error please resend

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	maca at maca.sarnoff.com (MACA)
To:	cq-contest at tgv.com
Date: 95-09-05 10:37:21 EDT

Mail*Link(r) SMTP               Control cables and TVI

In preparing for the Sprint, I wanted to solve a nagging problem with
interference to my VCR.  We're in a covenant-restricted neighborhood, so I
ran balanced feedlines into my attic as the house was being constructed, and
have been sucessfully using an 80M dipole that's on a short pole just above
the roofline.

During the construction of the house, I took great care to distance the
feedline from any power, phone or CATV cables.  Despite this and numerous
efforts to eliminate the problem at the VCR, I continued to have annoying
interference.  I felt that replacing the open feeders with a good quality
coax would solve the problem.  I would run that along with a shielded control
cable to my homebrew bandswitching tuner, which I planned to place in the
attic close to the antenna.

I was highly disappointed when this fix failed to solve the problem!  I
suspected that I was getting current flow on the outside shield of the coax,
so I placed about ten ferrite sleeves on the distant end of the coax.  This
improved the situation slightly, but the interference persisted.  I
disconnected the tuner from the coax and control cable, and tried using
another manual tuner that didn't require the control cable.  Problem
solved!!!

While I had taken great care to extensively bypass the inner conductors of my
control cable, the shield was acting as return RF path.  Once the control
cable was disconnected, I also noticed that the bandwidth of the antenna
dramatically increased, also indicating that the control cable had been
radiating.

For those of you who work with high power and multiple antenna systems and
multiple control cables, this may just be a blinding flash of the obvious.
 I, however, learned a lot from this experience and intend to provide the
same level of attention to my control cables as I do to my main feedline.
 That means RF choking at the near and distant ends, and, of course, the
normal bypassing efforts.

Maybe this experience may help you solve a nagging interference problem.

73,  Paul, KB8N