[JPRYOR@uga.cc.uga.edu: Contest Technique]

Sean E. Kutzko tigger at prairienet.org
Fri Sep 15 12:38:50 EDT 1995

Jay, K4OGG, Asked:

    Station 1 has mega-watts and is running stations on "his" frequency. I am
    listening and hear Station 2 work Station 1. I need the Station 2
    multiplier. What's the best way to work Station 2?

You suggestion of moving up a few hundred is a good one, especially if
the station you need is going methodically up/down the band. I've used
this several times, I'm sure many on this reflector have, too.

Another way I've gotten that needed mult was to simply jump in after
the initial QSO and say "W9XXX up one please" and work him there. This
generally works okay, but sometimes you can irritate the running station
by doing this. It also may not work if the station you need for the mult
is QSY'ing very quickly.

Last SS, this situation occurred on 80m. I was QRP, and I ran into a guy
from SC that was working a Big Gun. I needed SC for one of my last 4
mults. I screamed "SC here's QRP for you; please go up one," or something
like that. The Big Gun actually took time out fom his run, told the SC
guy there was a QRP station looking for him, and then the Big Gun STOOD
by while I quickly worked the SC mult on the Big Gun's freq. Needless to
say, I thanked the Big Gun profusely.

In actual time, the whole procedure took probably less than 30 seconds;
There is no question that the Big Gun's rate was interrupted by this, though.
Depending on the station calling him, he could have worked perhaps two
more QSO's, and maintained his rhythm regardless. He didn't have to
volunteer his freq, but he did. Depending on the Big Gun in question, you
may or may not have the same results; you may just get somebody very
upset at you.

Sean

--
Sean Kutzko                                          Amateur Radio: KF9PL
Urbana, IL                                           DXCC:304 worked/300 cfmd

          	     "All Good Things In All Good Time."