A 15m observation WPX SSB

ramirezk at emi.com ramirezk at emi.com
Fri Apr 5 19:17:42 EST 1996

Asking "what's your call" and then disappearing without a QSO or
ever IDing is not legal OM. The majority of the guys that ask
that question are never heard from again once the call is given.
It is rare that the guy who asks the question responds with his
call for a new qso point.Usually the ones that ask that question
are pretty darned loud and wind up covering up other stations
that are calling me. If I say " QRZ KP4XS" and 3 stations call
me at the same time I'll work one or two in a row and say QRZ
knowing the 3rd guy will call me since he knows my call already.
This has quickened MY pace. When the "what's your call" question
is thrown in by the impatient guy who won't wait a few secs for
me to give it the result is that the 3rd guy is covered up
effectively slowing down MY rate. I now need to give my call
again and listen for the third guy call me again while the
"What's your call" guy continues up the band looking for the
next guy to molest with that silly question. When I have heard 2
or more guys calling me at once I don't need to give my call
until I have at least worked 2 of them. They already know it.
Can you see it now from the other end???  Ken KP4XS
On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, aa4lr at radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) wrote:
>>I played around a bit with the
>>Iding portion of the running. Is it me or have US stations
>>become even more impatient on the bands? I ID'ed after every
QSO
>>and never had someone ask me,"what's your call?".
>
>If you did, I'd label that guy a goofball.
>
>> I tried IDing
>>every 2 qsos and was asked many times after my "QRZ", "what's
>>your call?".
>
>I think this goes back to my theory that pileups are a lot more
dynamic
>than people think, with listening stations coming and going
very quickly.

>But imagine what it is like if you are a station S & Ping (and
trying to do
>so as quickly as possible), and you run across:
>
>DX: "... You are 59 08"
>Station 1: "Thanks 59 03"
>DX: "Thank you, QRZed?"
>
>At this point, you have no idea what the DX might be, and
you've already
>heard him fail to ID after a contact. You've already sat
through one
>exchange, you might have to sit through 10 more. (this is
because goofballs
>at the OTHER end of the microphone that insist that they
shouldn't ID
>except every 10 minutes if they feel like it....) You really
have no idea
>how long it will take for the DX station to ID.
>
>>  I remember being able to run 3 stations straight
>>before IDing and never having someone ask me that
question.This
>>was back in the 80s.
>
>Contesting has gotten a lot more intense since then. Computer
logging has
>really picked up the pace (not quite as much pencil and paper
housekeeping
>to do).
>
>> I don't understand why a station cannot
>>wait for at least one transmission to go by to see if a
station
>>will ID or not.
>
>In my above example, he did. If you ID every Q, then a station
never has to
>sit through more than one exchange to get a DX callsign.
(Unless they
>miscopy it)
>
>>Serious in the contest or not,asking that
>>question without giving your own call is illegal and usually
>>winds up interfering with another station who is calling.
>
>I'm now aware of any FCC regulations that state that you cannot
ask a
>question without giving your call. The requirements state that
the
>identification must be given every 10 minutes and at the END of
>communications. By my interpretation, staying on that frequency
means that
>communications hasn't ended. In fact, it is that SAME
interpretation that
>allows you, as DX on KP4, to only ID every other Q.
>
>I'll agree with you that asking the question creates
unnecessary QRM. (I