Another Attack on Contesting and non-contest QRG

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Apr 8 23:39:28 EDT 1996

>I don't see why we contesters have to change OUR practice of the hobby on a
>few weekends a year to suit those who are too lazy to avoid the problem in
>the first place.

   I agree!  And, if memory serves correct, there are other modes that aren't
even being used at all during a particular contest weekend (i.e. Cw on a SSB
weekend, etc.).

   One caution, don't forget the eternal law -- the squeaky wheel gets
greased.  Somebody squeaked enough to get that part of 10M set aside.
 Apparently us contesters aren't squeaky enough.

73,   Steve    K7LXC

From: ni6t at ix.netcom.com (Garry Shapiro) (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 20:32:37 -0700
Subject: TS930 ON/OFF switch

You wrote:

>Well I'll be jiggered. Yesterday, I switched on the 930 (my main
contest
>rig) and the blame thing wouldn't stay on. It seems the on/off switch
broke.
>It goes in when pushed and the rig comes to life, but when I take my
finger
>off it, the rig goes off.  Anyone else experience this? Suggestions
for
>replacement switch vendor? Also, where's a good place to get those
little
>S-meter lamps?
>
>Thanks, Matt

Matt:

If you do not have a Service Manual, you ought to get one.

There are authorized Kenwood parts distributors on both coasts--Long
Island and Southern California.

East Coast (800) 637-0388
West Coast (800) 262-1312

On mine, the send/rec switch is flaky--the previous owner must have
used it a lot for that purpose.

The two chronic problems on my 930 are fan motors and S-meter lamps. I
think the former is due to a dusty environment. As for the lamps, they
get an arm and both legs for the damned things, because they are 28V.
And the shipping makes it a $10-12 deal to replace them. A cheaper
solution is to get two similar --but 12V--lamps from Radio Shack for a
buck and wire them in series. One caveat, from experience: the RS lamps
are 12V--not 14V--and will have shortened life. Put a small resistor in
series to limit the drop.

Garry, NI6T