90% of 487 Messages = Pure Crap

BK1ZX70SFL at aol.com BK1ZX70SFL at aol.com
Tue Apr 9 02:12:15 EDT 1996

CRAP

This is a free society and this is an un-"policed" medium so I am saying
crap.

Got your attention?

I had a broken modem this past week and went without getting my e-mail for 9
days, now I have a nice new modem, and an in-box full of crap. There were 487
messages, predominantly from cq-contest, that took 36 minutes and 24 seconds
to download with the shiny new14.4 modem.

I just spent the last 3 hours trashing messages about QRO/3rd Party
Licensing/and a lot of stuff that habitually comes to the surface.  Ya know,
after being without the contest reflector for a week or so - I lived just
fine and now looking at what I could have spent the past week reading on a
daily basis...a lot of it was pure crap.

I know, "just signoff" - NO WAY!

No, I won't lighten up. I am sorry to see the content of the Contest
Reflector continually fading...I feel like it is becoming more like a hangout
for codeless techs, than for savvy hams who like exchanging ideas on
contesting...the cerebral discussions of whether it is better to seperate
different  monobanders from a stack on a tower have been replaced with crap.
 Several years ago when I was building a station this place was like a
technical library of operating and station design ideas. Don't blame low
sunspot numbers, I know a lot of you are here and not on the air because
conditions stink!

C'mon guys...raise your standards back up, I know I am not the only one
hitting the delete key incessantly (DTR-dude) the trash can in my Macintosh
is full of CRAP!

If we are serious about getting more hams interested in contesting, lets show
them something that challenges their minds - relate exciting experiences made
possible by excercising our minds to build better stations. Share a little
knowledge about a propagation phenomenon that only a contester would know how
to exploit to increase his score. This is interesting stuff, stuff that gets
people interested in contesting.

Do you honestly think that once a month someones stating that there are
stations who run power/soup/gas and a whole cacophone of "ya, me too, I know
guys run power" is setting the hook for the next genenration of contesters???

WANTED: More discussions of propagation phenomenon observed in the last
contest ala K3ZO's posting....NOT WANTED rantings and ravings about of all
things, United Parcel Service, AGAIN!!!

Is there someplace the real contesters are hanging out these days...it used
to be CQ-Contest....but the postings I used to enjoy have dried up, a hole
bunch of cutesy crap ala some chat room from America On-Line has moved in!!!

More talk about the Loos-Gauge....less CRAP from loosers.*

Jim K1ZX

(*Before you get all hot, I enjoy and encourage contest related postings from
all levels of contesters, and do my part to help answer newcomers questions
here, as many will atest...you see I do not mean loosers of competitive
amateur radio events, I mean loosers as in LIFE!)

I gotta dump the trash.....see ya