Pointy tops on Rohn 25

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Apr 11 21:08:19 EDT 1996

>I have a pointy top on my tower (Rohn 25)
>Is there any type of thrust bearing I can use with this type top to releive
>some of the wieght from the rotor?  Due to some metal stress my quad is down
>right now and while waiting for the repair part it would seem to be a good
>time to add  a bearing if it is possible.

Hiya, George --

     You need a flat plate to mount a TB-3 (2 inch) Rohn thrust bearing.
 Since the tapered top section that you described (and there are several
different versions of them) is really designed for communications users and
not necessarily amateurs, the only way to use a thrust bearing is to get
another accessory shelf in the tower and mount the thrust bearing on it with
the mast going up through the top pipe.  Unless you've got a big load (mast
plus antenna - weight and square footage), I wouldn't worry about the thrust
bearing and just let the rotator take the vertical weight.    Most rotators
will take a bunch of vertical weight so it's not a big deal.  Yes, it's
probably better to have the antenna and mast weight taken by a thrust bearing
but the investment in your case may not justify it.  Although you didn't
mention how big your quad was, I imagine it was a 2 or 3 element HF quad.  If
so, the above comments apply.

      Let me know if I misrepresented your installation or if you want
additional info.

73,   Steve    K7LXC