Your Pointy Rohn 25 and a shelf

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Apr 13 19:05:10 EDT 1996

>Flat top sections are better. Why? Becuase you can stand on them
>when you are working on that upper stacked yagi or the truss for your beam.
>You can't find a place to step anywhere near the top of a pointy section.

Hiya, Jim --

    Always a pleasure to hear from you and great advice from an experienced
tower builder, someone who has obviously been there before.

>The second shelf for a thrust bearing is a must for ease in rotor/rotator
>instalation and maintenance work. By having the shelf above the rotor you
>have a point where the downward weight of the mast and antennas can be born
>when it is time for you to take out the rotor for service.

     Another option is to have most of the mast in the tower or at least
enough to get the center of gravity below the top of the tower.  Then the
system can just sit there.  It's captured by the tower so it really can't go
anywhere.  This'll work if you don't want to go to the added expense and work
of a second accessory shelf and thrust bearing.  This second thrust bearing
becomes more important with larger systems and less important with smaller
ones.

>If the clamp is applied to the
>mast just above the new shelf above the rotor it now takes the weight of the
>antennas when you need to remove the rotor. If you take a pry bar up the
>tower (don't drop it!) you can goose the mast/ants up a liltlle before you
>tighten that toothed clamp up above. When the rotor is back in place up top
>on the rotor shelf you loosen the toothed clamp and the mast will slide back
>down to the rotor....note: (K7LXC probably will back me up on this) most
>rotor manufacturers encourage the weight of the antennas to be carried on
the
>rotor as opposed to the mast being supported vertically by a thrust bearing.

    Right again, Jimbo.  The rotators are designed to have some amount of
preload on them.  To be honest with you, I don't know what that factor is.
 Also, I haven't figured out how to measure it anyway.  SOME preload force is
recommended.

>To keep the mast from spinning around, I take a short length of pipe with a
>boom to mast clamp on one end of it and attrach it to the mast someplace
>within the tower. You can then lash this pipe to a tower leg and the antenna
>will not windmill on you.

     More sage advice.  This would make a good article for the NCJ (hint,
hint).

73,   Steve    K7LXC