beginner contest stns

bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com bill.lumnitzer at paonline.com
Wed Apr 17 12:53:18 EDT 1996

 >>Since you were discussing the beginner stations of current contesters, I
 >>thought I would kick in a description of my beginner stations!  There have
 >>been a few upgrades in more recent years...
 >>
 >>It will be interesting to hear descriptions of the beginner stations of
 >>some other CONTESTers!

 K5> Well, here is the early K5NA story.

 K5> Dec 1957 - I am 15 years old when I pass the novice exam at the Jasper
 K5> (TX) high school radio club.

 K5> Jan 1958 - My mom (a school teacher) goes in hock to buy me a "good"
 K5> receiver on the time payment plan. It was a used SX-100 from World
 K5> Radio Labs. A Heathkit DX-20 kit is also ordered.

EGADS! An SX-100 (drool)! I'm still playing catch up with some of you guys!

After earning my radio merit badge and becoming licensed as WV6CZR (Czar) in
Nov'58 at age 13, I did yard work for the neighbors in to afford a Knight
Kit "Ocean Hopper" with plug in coils for $14.95. I really wanted a "Band
Spanner" which was band switched but it exceeded my budget at $22.95. I built
a 25W rock-bound 40m rig from a Radio-Electronics article with a 6AG7/6L6
(metal tube) tube lineup and plug in coil tank with a paint can shield. I
painted the chassis with very cool looking copper paint!

I erected a 40m vertical fed with TV twinlead outside my parents
bedroom (next to the cold water faucet) using a glass Coke bottle for an
insulator. I couldn't afford a T/R relay so I used a knife switch but for some
reason located it on the wall of my parents bedroom and had to run from room
to room every time I turned it over!  I remember working my first DX
- what I copied as an SN7. I couldn't figure out where "SN" was so I logged
him as "SM7" and bragged to my friends that my antenna was really working
since I worked Sweden in the afternoon on 40 CW! Luckily, I didn't hear many
answers to my CQ's with this setup, which I used to justify getting an S-85
and Heathkit Q Multiplier the following Christmas and Birthday. Over the next
few years, this station evolved to a trap vertical on the roof and TA-33JR on
a pushup mast (purchased from famous DXer ex WA6SBO), driven by a Heathkit
Mowhawk/Apache combo and homebrew 811A KW, my "dream station". I loved the SS
in those days but never had much success competing with the likes of W6HJT
and his 100' boom 5 el 40, etc.!

73 Bill
N6CQ at paonline.com