A3S and 40M Option

ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM ehayes at VNET.IBM.COM
Tue Apr 23 10:31:22 EDT 1996

I located an A3S at a swap this past weekend but before I purchase
it for my modest (50 ft.) tower I thought I would ask what the
consensus was on the 40M option before I spring for the $$.  Should I use
quarter wave slopers or is the add-on 40M option the way to go?
Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne   KC5DVT   ehayes at vnet.ibm.com

>From David & Barbara Leeson <0005543629 at mcimail.com>  Tue Apr 23 15:40:00 1996
From: David & Barbara Leeson <0005543629 at mcimail.com> (David & Barbara Leeson)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 09:40 EST
Subject: Elevated Guy Anchors

I'm working with the Stanford Radio Club, W6YX, on the installation of
some new towers.  They are thinking of elevated guy posts, and will have
them engineered if they go ahead.  I'll pass along the result.

I've seen several guy post installations, but the overturning moment on
the post can rotate an unguyed post in the ground.  Concrete should be
poured against "undisturbed earth" in the tower base and guy anchor
holes per the Rohn catalog drawings.  Also, hollow tower and guy post
legs must be able to drain, or the trapped water will freeze and split
the tube.  This is a potential problem in the rotating tower bearings
that have a solid steel rod that goes into the tower legs, and it's
not a good idea to drill holes in the legs at this high-stress point.

More rebar rather than too little is always good insurance.  The lightning
ground rod goes outside the concrete in general practice.  Lastly, it's
customary to throw coin of the realm into the hole before pouring concrete;
this is an ancient practice that deals with evil spirits and noxious rays,
so don't cheap out here.

73 de Dave, W6QHS