Contesting and the Internet?

N3ADL at aol.com N3ADL at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 21:46:52 EDT 1996

I was just curious....What happens if I'm in some rare country...say A5....I
bring my PacketCluster software and give it to a A5 station a mile or so
away...He connects to the  Internet and hits a node in say....Italy...:-)....
Now I bring up CT and connect to him via VHF packet..... and get spots from
the Italian Cluster....

I am getting my spots via AMATEUR Radio.....Does it REALLY matter where he
gets the spots from?? Is this legal for CQWW for a M/M ??

IMHO the use of the Internet to get spots is no worse than getting spots
directly from a node.... We are using the available technology to enhance our
score. Part of being an Amateur is pushing the technological envelope as far
as we can to enable us to provide the most reliable communications in a
disaster situation.I loose sight of the fact that folks NOT on the EAST coast
suffer from LACK of nodes and activity. Why shouldn't the poor soul in
Bumphuk Egypt be afforded the same chance to see what is being spotted?? We
typically have 300 to 700 folks connected at one time on the FRC Cluster
System....The guy in Egypt has noone.... Just a thought..
                                          732 de Doug // N3ADL