Contesting and the Internet?

D. R. Evans devans at lynx.colorado.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:00:01 EDT 1996

On 22 Apr 96 at 10:22, LondonSM <n2ic at drmail.dr.att.com> wrote:

> An interesting idea, but I would take it a step further.  Absolutely no
> "off site" assistance.  Multi's would have to find their own spots,
> using receivers and antennas located on-premises, without packet, voice,
> telephone, or internet assistance.

A hearty "I agree".

D.R. Evans NQ0I / G4AMJ : devans at lynx.colorado.edu
                          al019 at freenet.uchsc.edu

"Palindor Chronicles" information and extracts:
   http://spot.colorado.edu/~romigj/drevans.html

From: w2vjn at rosenet.net (George Cutsogeorge) (George Cutsogeorge)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 22:44:37 GMT
Subject: Spice.

Design engineers have been using various forms of computerized circuit analysis
for many years.  In the 60s we used batch programming with punched cards on
main frame computers to verify designs and for phase equalizing wide band
filters for video.  The computer was run over night and results were ready in
the morning.  A small error in a number or tolerance meant another day of
waiting for the batch to be run again.  And of course there was the danger of
dropping the card stack on the way to the computer room.

Spice was written in the early 70s and was generally available by the late 70s.
Maybe earlier on the west coast.  Today it uses basically the same engine and
has improved input/output routines.  There are many books on how to use it.

It is a very useful tool for anyone who does analog circuit design.  A typical
use might be to verify a filter design.  If the components and strays are
modeled accurately, results will be true and breadboarding is a thing of the
past.

What has this got to do with contesting?  Some of us still build portions of
our stations and Spice is a powerful time saving tool.

George.
----
George Cutsogeorge,  W2VJN
Umpqua, OR.