ARRL Letter: FCC/RFI and callsigns

frenaye at pcnet.com frenaye at pcnet.com
Fri Apr 26 19:04:41 EDT 1996

Excerpts from this week's ARRL letter (available at www.arrl.org):
(note: I've assuming that these clips are useful to those on the contest
reflector - please let me know if not!  73 Tom

FCC DROPS PILOT RFI PROGRAM

The FCC has quietly ended a pilot program in Tampa, Florida, that referred
consumer-electronics interference cases to a local repair shop for
resolution. Jim Dailey, the FCC engineer in charge in Kansas City and head
of the FCC's privatization task force, says the FCC's data showed the
program "had no takers" because the complainants did not want to spend money
to eliminate the interference.

Fear was another reason, says Roy Lewis, W4WLY, whose Vulcan Electronics in
Tampa was the only shop certified by the FCC (from August 1995 until
February 1996) to deal with interference problems. Lewis reports that all of
the approximately two dozen complaints of RFI to televisions, stereos,
telephones and even air conditioners, stemmed from unlicensed, high-power
operations that the customers already had identified. He said the customers
not only didn't want to pay to have the problems resolved, "they were afraid
of retaliation if I went out there."

In an April Public Notice, the Commission said it cannot resolve most of the
thousands of complaints of interference to TVs, radios, stereos and
televisions "because the cause of this interference is the design or
construction of these products and not a violation of any FCC rule."
Resolving interference problems will be the responsibility of manufacturers
and consumers, Dailey said. "We are separating the issue of interference
from the issue of compliance. We are not in the television or telephone
repair business." Daily said consumers who buy an electronic device "have a
presumption that it ought to work when they buy it."

The FCC's Telephone Interference Bulletin encourages consumers experiencing
telephone interference to write equipment manufacturers, and it even
provides a sample complaint letter to make it easy.

Lewis said the consumers complaining about RFI problems believe the
government should do something about it. Extremely high-powered 11-meter
operations are common in the Tampa area, Lewis reports. He said the
scofflaws often cascade several illegal power amplifiers to obtain extremely
high power levels, and he'd like to see the FCC beef up enforcement, "at
least in metro areas."

In the same Public Notice, the Commission emphasized that its Compliance and
Information Bureau "will continue to take appropriate enforcement action
where it has been determined that the interference is caused by violations
of the Communications Act or the Commission's rules or policies."

ARRL Lab Supervisor Ed Hare, KA1CV, says he's cautiously optimistic about
the FCC's stance on interference, as reflected in the Public Notice. "I
truly hope the Commission's statement represents a shift in the way the FCC
will handle these matters," he said. But he noted that the FCC has not taken
"appropriate enforcement action" in any of the cases referred to Lewis'
shop. Ralph Barlow, engineer in charge of the FCC's Tampa office, agrees
that such illegal operators generate lots of interference complaints, but
says it would take more than complaints before his office would treat it as
a compliance issue. For example, a properly operating amplifier could cause
telephone interference, but "it's still the telephone's problem," he
suggested, until the FCC has good reason to believe the interference source
also is breaking the law. Then, "we would address it only as a compliance
issue" and on a priority basis. "Which probably means we'd never get to it,"
Barlow conceded. Tracking down an offending operator can sap a lot of
resources the FCC needs to apply elsewhere, he said. "We go after the worst
first."

Dailey concurred that the FCC's staff is thinly spread and that other
issues--primarily those involving safety--come first. After the FCC's
reorganization is complete, he'll have one person for each of the four
states in his region. "We have to look at what we can accomplish with the
resources available to us," he said.

Hare says the ARRL will continue to cooperate with the FCC and manufacturers
in cases of interference that involve Amateur Radio.

The FCC provides basic consumer information about interference problems via
the Internet on the FCC Compliance and Information Bureau's home page at
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/WWW. (The list also is available
through the Commission's Fax on Demand service at 202-418-2830. Request
document 6904.) Documents available for viewing and downloading include the
Interference Handbook and the Telephone Interference Bulletin. The
Interference Handbook includes a list of equipment manufacturers who provide
specific assistance with interference problems.

The ARRL makes available several RFI-information packages through its
Technical Information Service. Specific packages are available for
interference to TV, cable, VCRs, telephone, computer and audio equipment as
well as on electrical and automotive interference. Each package costs $2 for
ARRL members and $4 for nonmembers, postpaid. Write to the ARRL Technical
Department Secretary, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111. Most are also
available on the Hiram BBS (860-594-0306) or the ARRL FTP site
ftp://oak.oakland.edu/pub/hamradio/arrl/infoserv/tech.

* The long-awaited vanity call sign program is still in the works, but the
FCC has not yet announced when the program's various gates will open. As of
press time in late April, the FCC was saying it was still on track for a
mid-year start. According to the Commission, the delays have been a result
of having to deal with a second wave of Petitions for Reconsideration, and
wrapping up their computer-system preparations for the vanity call sign
program.--Bart Jahnke, KB9NM

E-mail: frenaye at pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444