RF

rkaufman at magic.mb.ca rkaufman at magic.mb.ca
Fri Aug 9 19:08:00 EDT 1996

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, vern at HayA.QC.CA (Vernon Erle Ikeda) wrote:
>	Thursday August 8, 1996
>
>	After listening to all the screaming and crying over
>RF fields and the like, can you take it elsewhere, I'm getting
>a little sick of it.........   I subcribed to this list in the
>hopes of finding contest information, not grown men fighting
>each other over sillly things government breaucrats do....
>
> Vernon Erle Ikeda  VE2MBS

Vern, if you think that this has no bearing or effect on
contesting, then you're in for a rude awakening. The government
in your country has the power to limit your RF output. If you
live on a normal city lot and have antennas of average height (
60 plus feet) then it is likely that you will be in violation of
recommended RF field strength limits at a KW level. Unless you
want to continue contesting from Canada with 50 or 100 w ( not
much fun in DX contests) then you better become more acquainted
with the ill fated EMCAB-2 and the current RAC-IC discussions.

"Silly things government bureacrats do" includes reducing my
power output to 100 W at this location. I have neither the means
nor the time to put together a multi-tower multi xmtr station out
of town somewhere or in the caribbean. I consider myself an avid
contester ( Winner SS LP Phone 92 & 95) but if amateurs such as
myself are affected by these potential influences, then there
will be no one left to work. Burying our heads in the sand and
hoping it goes away is not the answer. The discussion is real,
pertinent and important.

Contact RAC counsel Time Ellam VE6SH and he'll give you the real
story of how close we are to this tragic situation. The only way
we can prevent this from affecting our hobby is to be proactive,
assertive and educated. I thank those who have taken the time to
post.

Finally, if you don't like the discussion, simply use the delete
key or screen your mail messages.

73
Rob Kaufmann VE4GV