good 80/40 antenna?

K8DO at aol.com K8DO at aol.com
Thu Aug 22 14:58:44 EDT 1996

Hi Dave...
Your question is about the bread and butter of contestors, "low angle
antennas", so I will put this on the list...
I suggest that you get G6XN's book "HF ANTENNAS FOR ALL LOCATIONS", and all 4
issues of the ARRL ANTENNA COMPENDIUM ... Lots of good ideas in them.... I
suspect that a combination of a top loaded vertical for 160/80/40 (similar to
the Grand Rapids Special) and Moxon's elevated, folded radials for the
counterpoises (especially, read Moxon in the compendium #3 and contrast that
to the work of Doty, et. al. in #2) will serve your purposes better and for
less $$ than anything commercial.... But to make that happen you have to
memorize Moxon's statement, "The necessity to ensure resonance in both
directions from the feed point (so as to maintain the coax shield at ground
potential) cannot be too strongly emphasized."  ... This statement should be
bronzed and put on public display in Hartford....
Also, the magnetic slot antennas are promising for the space/altitude
impaired on 160/80... I have modeled a couple and the software says that they
really do work, - amazing - ...

Denny   k8do at aol.com

Cheers  ...  DEnny