CQ-WW-DX-CW 1996 experience

N3ADL at aol.com N3ADL at aol.com
Wed Dec 4 18:18:30 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-12-04 12:14:15 EST, Istvan.Bogyo at mdc.hu (Bogyo Istvan)
writes:

<< have been ruined by the herds of
 Europeans who seemed to forget to use their receivers, and have been
 calling and calling and calling. This "calling contest" was something
 that I was not prepared for! HS0AC for example, could not make a single
 contact in 6 minutes, because every time he called someone, like DL7??
 DL7?? agn agn BK, at least two hundred stations felt like having a
 callsign similar to DL7??. Even if he got a full call, like UX0UN UX0UN
 59926 59926 BK, the same herd called him for minutes.

Yeah...its really amazing that for all the boorish behavior the rate meter is
ticking faster than ever. This IS a problem that probably will not go away
until hell freezes over and its not confined to top band! It seems like the
eastern european block and Italy has suddenly discovered DXing is FUN...and
we all know that contesting is nothing more than DXing as fast and as loud as
you can. Sorta reminds me of the guy with the new D-104 asking his buddy how
much more S meter reflection is caused by his cranking up the audio pot.
     {$->

The facts are:

1) Full calls make it into the log faster AND easier!

2) If the DX operator asks for X-RAY ZULU and you are anything else..... SHUT
UP!
(this goes for any combination of letters or numbers)

3) LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN

4) if in doubt............refer to rule #2 and #3 above in inverse order....

Now if we can just get that posted in 15 languages around the globe we'll
have something! Most of the OPs who do the Caribbean have been tempted to run
split (or at least thought of it) because the pile ups are so unruly that it
actually slows the rate down.

 Now that might be a question for the assembled masses...How whizzed would
you be if a P4 or V2 ran split in CQ or ARRL.? .... Nothing in the rules that
I can see to prevent it...it is just frowned upon by the Big Gun community
stateside. It is, perhaps, the only answer to the unruly pileups. My feeling
is that they keep calling because they do not hear me respond in the din of
the pileup. I fight the urge to pronounce them all stupid and deaf while
trying to pull XU out of the white noise and 130 stations are dropping their
call in every 2.213 seconds. Then there is the guy who is 40 over asking
about the QSL route until you stop the run and give it...even though you just
gave it 7 times in the last hour....and it is printed in virtually every
amateur publication on the planet.

All that being said....I'm going out now to sacrifice 3 virgins ( I THINK I
can find 3) to the contest gods to thank them for the chance to work the
unruly pileups..... and to ask for patience and the strength to endure the
learning curve of the newbies with the  new lollipop without blowing a
gasket. No offense meant to anyone in particular...just blowing off steam and
keeping busy while enduring nicotine withdrawal.

                               Season's Greeting's to all!
                                Congrats to the CQ winners!
                                    GO FRC !    de Doug N3ADL

                              V26B will be QRV for ARRL Phone!