The secret at WB9Z on 160m.

ramirezk at emi.com ramirezk at emi.com
Sat Dec 7 15:00:17 EST 1996

   The wife went Christmas shopping. I ran to the shack and got
on 160 meters to work a few. The problem was that it was 12pm
local. I did hear many calling CQ Test and quite a few with loud
signals for this time of day.(s9) I called many of them for
quite some time but only one heard me. He was WB9Z. All the
signals were from the 450-600 mile range and fairly equal in
strength. I tried calling once,spacing out numerous calls to
allow them to switch beverages,moving up and down in frequency
but no luck. No wonder WB9Z kicks ass in the 160m contests.
 Three of the louder stations that did not hear me even enough
to send a ..--.. were K8RR, N2RM and K3ANS. What is WB9Z using
for receive antennas? BTW, running 100 watts and a half sloper
at 50 feet. 73 Ken N4UK South Carolina