URL for topographic maps - thanks

albraun at socketis.net albraun at socketis.net
Wed Dec 25 22:24:17 EST 1996

Thanks to all for the quick response to my question about the maps.
I got more replies wanting to know where it was, though, than replies
offering suggestions.  The one I was looking for is

http://tiger.census.gov

This is maintained by the census bureau, not the geologic survey, and
isn't exactly a topographic map, since it does not show contour lines,
but it allows you to get fairly detailed maps of just about any location
and get the exact lat/long.  It comes up centered on Washington DC but
you can enter either a town name or a zip code to get where you want to
be, and then zoom in to any degree of detail you want.

I needed the info because I knew I live close to the border between
EM38 and EM39 and wanted to be sure which side I'm on.  My exact
grid square, FWIW, is EM38UT.  Hope to work a few of you in the Stew
Perry contest this weekend.

73 and Merry Christmas
Alan NS0B

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun at socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B at N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *