Surge suppressors for balanced feeders (summary)

n0dh at comtch.iea.com n0dh at comtch.iea.com
Tue Feb 6 19:15:40 EST 1996

Pete Soper <psoper at encore.com> WROTE:

>Knife switches are "out there", somewhere :-)

The "Wireman" has them listed in his catalog, dont know what they
look like though.

DAVE
N0DH/7

DIT DIT

From: claver at noao.edu (Chuck Claver) (Chuck Claver)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 96 12:26:32 MST
Subject: Tower Height versus Angle...

Steve, K7LXX, wrote:

> Also, my recommendation is to put the 40M antenna at the bottom of the stack;
> an additional 10 feet up the mast is only 7% of a wavelength - not enough to
> make any significant angle improvements.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

True, if you are talking only about the take-off angle of the main forward lobe.
Not true, if you consider the rest of the antenna pattern, primarily
the high angle part of the pattern.  For example: a 3 element 40 meter yagi
at a height of 1/2 wavelength over perfect ground has a perfect null (>40dB)
at an angle of 90 degrees from horizontal.  This changes significantly with
small changes in antenna height (see table below).

height                approx. strength of pattern
in wavelengths        relative to main lobe
                      at an angle of 90 degrees
---------------       -------------------------
    0.600                       -15dB with secondary lobe @80deg -12dB
    0.575                       -18dB with secondary lobe @80deg -15dB
    0.550                       -20dB with secondary lobe @80deg -18dB
    0.525                       -25dB with secondary lobe @85deg -25dB
    0.500                      >-40dB
    0.475                       -25dB
    0.450                       -20dB
    0.425                       -15dB
    0.400                       -12dB

In this exercise the take-off angle of the main lobe changes from roughly 20
degrees at a height of 0.6 wavelengths to 35 degrees at 0.4 wavelengths.

This, in turn, would change how well you reject QRM from nearby stations - 20dB
change in high angle rejection for a 10% change in height from 0.5 wavelengths
(about 70 feet) is worth thinking about.  However, this only one part of a
complex equation one needs to ballance when deciding what is best for your QTH.

For what it's worth...

Cheers - Chuck Claver
         de NJ6D