Tower Help

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 12:25:44 EST 1996

>A few years ago ROHN published a nice manual with engineering data on their
>tower line. Not only the ham stuff like the 25/45/55, but even the
>commercial stuff. It had their factory engineering data as well as guy
>design recommendations, concrete base specs, even dead-man design. I never
>used it for such, but I suspect copies of those pages would have overwhelmed
>the average county building permit clerk, provided you intended building to
>those specs. It also had maps showing what areas of the CONUS were rated for
>the different wind threat levels, so you could determine exactly which set
>of standards you should be constructing for. No guesswork, just good
>engineering-based design stuff.
>
>I don't know if it is still available, but it sure would be a worthwhile
>addition to any ham's library. It was free for the asking back then.
>
>Jerry       W4UKU      South Carolina     flanders at groupz.net

Jerry, howdy --

   Yes -- the Rohn catalog(s) is the FIRST thing that I recommend that anyone
contemplating any tower installation obtain.  They produce 2 catalogs: one
for Consumer Products (BX, 25G through 55G and SSV) and a Commercial Products
version that covers everything except BX.  They are available from Rohn
(309-697-4400) or from most Rohn dealers.  They are $10 from Rohn with a
voucher toward the purchase of Rohn products so you get your $10 back.

   Both of the catalogs have a bountiful supply of specifications relating to
wind loading, guy anchors, bases, hardware, tools, etc.  The latest versions
have been updated to TIA-222-E (the industry standard) as well as 110 MPH
wind charts.

   EVERY HAM should have one.

73, Steve  K7LXC

             "Up The Tower"    now appears in CQ Contest magazine